1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tornado Hits Town in Wrong DMA

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by Nick, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Changing channels: TV viewers in Alabama want to escape clutches of mandatory Atlanta DMA

22,000 Residents of Randolph County, AL, were unable to get timely information on the April 27 tornadoes because DMA market lines meant they could receive only the "local stations" from Atlanta.

Story in The Anniston Star

2. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    What happened to their radios?

3. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Probably nothing, but if you are watching "local" TV in the evening and your locals come from Atlanta, then you will probably not get a local weather alert that you would need. In the evening, I would need a reason to turn on the regular radio.

Probably the best way to get this taken care of is to get it in front of a federal judge. Letters will only do so much.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I believe he was asking about weather alert radios. Maybe not.

I'm still wondering what Yornadoes and Towms are.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yornadoes are the opposite of Mynadoes, and I believe Towms are the places where people are buried.

6. cablewithaview

cablewithaview Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Them and Cleburne Counties are in the Atlanta DMA, Atlanta a few years ago when Randolph was hit by tornadoes that also hit a school, Atlanta "didn't know" those counties were in the Atlanta DMA, but since it was brought to light then, what was there excuse now?