1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tornadoes in the Central U.S.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Greg Alsobrook, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1 of 18
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I noticed a whole lot of tornado watch boxes last night along a front in the northern US... Today it looks like the focus has switched over to the Midwest...

Story from MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24989743/

I also check the 'Storm Prediction Center's' website almost daily... If you're not familiar, they gauge that days risk of sever weather... 'Slight' is pretty common, 'Moderate' doesn't happen too often... and it's pretty rare that you see a 'high'... The box for 'high' is bigger than I think I have ever seen it...

[​IMG]

The last time I remember seeing the 'high' risk box, this happened... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=118900

I hope everyone in that area keeps an eye out and stays safe through the night...

Attached Files:

2. Jun 5, 2008 #2 of 18
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Wow. I don't even watch the weather on the local news. If I step outside and it's raining, I'll grab an umbrella. If it's hot, I'll change into shorts. If it's cold, I'll grab a jacket. That's as sophisticated as I get in terms of weather.

3. Jun 5, 2008 #3 of 18
    Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    I have a desk job... I get bored... :sure:

We have some pretty nasty weather around here... So I like to keep a close eye on it... It's also kind of a hobby of mine...

4. Jun 5, 2008 #4 of 18
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The desktop on my computer is a loop of a combination satellite/radar and surface analysis (the fronts/high pressure/low pressure stuff). It updates every 4 minutes. Right now radar is showing a big cell blossoming down in Kansas. The way it appears to be tracking it looks like a long night again. The weather radio went off numerous times last night. Already saturated ground got another 2 to 3 inches of rain, and most of the warnings were flood, mixed in with some thunderstorm warnings. Following the EF5 that went over us eleven days ago people are very jumpy in this area, and people who used to shrug off weather reports and warnings are taking them much more seriously. I live in the Moderate box on the map.

5. Jun 5, 2008 #5 of 18
    spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Actually, time is a constant.

6. Jun 5, 2008 #6 of 18
    Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    What website/programs are you using?

7. Jun 5, 2008 #7 of 18
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm using Weather Watcher. One of the first programs that I found that allowed motion for wallpaper. It has a huge number of maps available, of different types of radar and satellite, for pretty much anywhere in the world.

8. Jun 5, 2008 #8 of 18
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Time is relative. Time moves much more quickly when spending it with someone you really like, doing something you really like, than when you are sitting in a dentists chair having a cavity filled. For many people in Parkersburg eleven days ago 30 seconds lasted an eternity. Time spent watching approaching storm systems, wondering if now is the time to turn off and disconnect everything electrical and go to the basement, passes much more slowly than time spent asleep.

9. Jun 5, 2008 #9 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is odd, but it seems like a long night with alarms waking you often (as it did me) and yet it could be considered a short night when you don't get sleep. It averages out to a pain in the butt.

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    It may SEEM to move more quickly or slowly depending on the situation, but it doesn't.

Anyway, just yanking your chain a bit. As long as it occupies your time and you feel safer, I'm all for people following the weather. Just doesn't matter to me. If a tornado comes, it comes. Not much I can do about it and we don't have basements here anyway, so I never pay attention.

Usually I find out after the fact. Last year a tornado touched down in my town of Wylie and apparently it made some national news. My dad called me the next day to ask if we were alright. I didn't even realize we had had a bad storm until after he told me.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It seems someone has achieved a remarkable level for "oblivious". :sure:

12. Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    If you are really into weather, check out GRLevel3. It's a NEXRAD level 3 viewer (that's standard radar for non-weather geeks.) It overlays the mesocyclone icons and gives you way more info than you'll ever get from tv.

And AirRocker if you use it in conjunction with a 3rd party data source like AllisonHouse.com, It will overlay all the SPC outlooks and mesoscale discussions.

I think I'm more of a weather geek than a DBS geek :D

13. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    You obviously haven't been watching "Lost". ;)

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    If time didn't exist, everything would happen at once! :eek:

15. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Very cool. Thanks! I will definitely check that out!

16. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thank God that due to doppler radar, weather spotters, and tornado sirens, Parkersburg and other Iowa communities had enough warning that people were able to take shelter, many in basements, but others without basements in other locations which offered more protection. At a pizza restaurant the 19 year old manager and his staff got the customers into the restroom. One of the customers decided to go out and look, and was bodily hauled back into the restroom by this manager when he was paralyzed standing out in the middle of the street looking at the EF5 tornado that was just blocks away. About 12 people were crowded into the restroom, and there was not enough room for everyone, so the manager and two other employees sat with their backs to the door. When the dust settled, the walls of the restroom were all that was left. Debris had fallen against the door of the restroom, forming a tent with the three young men safe under it. On top of the debris was a car. That's just one of the stories. Because of the 5 to 10 minute warning time the death toll was held to just 8 people (the eighth, and hopefully last, victim passed away Tuesday). All but one of the victims were in their 70's and 80's, and were unable to get into their basement. I discussed with one of my church's couples, with a husband who also could in no way make it to the basement, what they would do. A lot of people in this area who haven't really paid attention to the warnings are paying a lot of attention to them now.

17. Button Pusher

Button Pusher Icon DBSTalk Club

Jan 19, 2007
    The...
    I'am a weather nut too. My wife thinks I'am crazy about how much I watch the weather. I give Hurricane reports that I get from NOAA's site on a couple of other forums. They call me the weather guy.lol

18. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It isn't watching the weather that makes my family think I'm crazy. It's a well established fact, based on many things. My kids often say, "Dad, your crazy!", and I say to them, "We've already established that long ago, why do you keep stating the obvious?"

The internet is great, because I can not only keep up on the weather we are getting or are going to get, but when one of my daughters was in Kenya, and now when the other one is in Guyana, I can also keep track of the weather they are getting.