1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tornados destroying parts of Oklahoma

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, May 20, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From a property loss, this is being called the worst ever in the world by the KFOR - two schools destroyed in Moore. Live Video.

2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Reporter on the ground, pulling 3rd graders out of Plaza Tower Elementary School.

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    They got to stop building above ground in tornado alley.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Are seriously making jokes about this??

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Who's joking. Where are tornado shelters? Underground.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Whenever possible. It is a lot easier to do underground in an area where basements are common. Most people have a hardened room within their house (best case scenario that room survives) or have to build a shelter at the last minute by lining an interior hallway with mattresses. There are people with underground bomb shelters / tornado shelters ... but they are not common.

When I lived in Texas we had a friendly neighbor that allowed us to use his storm shelter when a tornado warning was issued. Fortunately while I was there nothing serious happened --- just occasional hiding. Now I live in Northern Indiana I have a basement. I probably should have a better shelter ... but I've only had two or three tornados within a half mile of my house in the past few years (all F-1 or smaller).

Hopefully more escaped than it appears at this time. This storm was a bad one.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The problem is that the school had a hallway with walls five cinder blocks wide - for the most part those walls are gone.

9. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    This one was an F5 that was over a mile wide and was on the ground for a little over 11 miles. Wind speeds probably over 200 miles per hour. It is easy to say that people should build everything underground here but basements fill with condensation in this part of the country.

10. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    37 confirmed dead with more expected to be found. This was a bad one.

11. ironfoot995

ironfoot995 Cool Member

Dec 24, 2004
    I live in Norman, OK, just a few miles south of the tornado path today. Utter devastation, 37 confirmed dead, sofar. Still looking under the rubble of an elementary school for 25 - 30 missing kids. This is going to be worse than the May 3, 1999 tornado that almost took the same track as today's. Thoughts and prayers for individuals and families that have lost loved ones and property. I do have an underground tornado shelter in my garage. I was in it yeaterday and today, along with my wife and her parents. Best $3500 I have ever spent.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The count is now 91 dead. This is a grim circumstance for public safety personnel on the scene.

13. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Terrible news and my heart goes out to my fellow Okies.

14. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I sure do feel for all those poor folks in Moore. I hear that debris from Moore has been found as far away as Branson, MO
    We were okay in Choctaw though at one time the tornado track was projected straignt over my house before it roped-out near Lake Stanley Draper to the south.
    There was lots of hail but the dish still works. I too am glad to have an in-ground (in-garage) shelter and hope that I never have to actually use it.

As for why would people live in tornado alley, your individual chances are small of being hit. I've never actually seen a tornado in person. The quality of life is good here; cost of living/housing is low and the people are great.

And what about other areas? You could question any area that might have an natural disaster like an earthquake, wildfire, or flood. How many millions will be affected when the "big one" hits in California or on the new madrid fault (e.g. St. Louis) in the midwest? What area is left if one doesn't live where a natural disaster is possible? I started to give Seattle as a possibility then remembered that their volcano is active and it's just a matter of how long before it blows, not when, and they're also susceptable to earthquakes and coastal floods (if the sea levels raise/tsunami). Why would someone live in Las Vegas? Where are you going to get water as populations increase? What happens if the Hoover dam breaks? There are risks everywhere, just different ones.

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    One little bit of good news. Death toll as of now has been reduced to 24, including 9 children. Of course, it is expected to rise.
    Ongoing TV coverage from MSNBC and CNN seems to be the best source of information. It surprises me a bit to see MSNBC doing a really good job of onsite reporting, given their much smaller viewing audience.

A good source of information on how to provide help to the citizens of Moore: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18381508-how-to-help-oklahoma-tornado-victims?lite

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yea I see that's false now, 24 is the number I just heard.

Amazing how the media can say 51 confirmed , and it was thank god not true at all.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    To be fair it was confirmed ... and the "40 more" story probably would have got more traction if most of the channels hadn't pulled the plug for the night.

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The local ME is the source for the official death count. Early on, apparently, a double-count occurred in error.

19. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    That's too bad the media has to make a bad situation worse when all these people have lost everything and now been told their missing familys are dead when they aren't.

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Everyone's been fixated on "body count" since it became a standard for measuring success in the Vietnam War, reported dutifully by the media at the time. They didn't get it right back then and they don't get it right today for the same reason - the desire to be reporting the available news instantaneously so that those of us who need instant gratification will watch.