1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tough Question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Grippy, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Grippy

Grippy Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    da UP
    Hi,

Looking for some good help.

I have the 722k and the 211k.

I want to replace the 722k with a Hopper and KEEP the 211k

1st I was told yes you can do that for $7/month

next call I was told NO

next call I was told yes if I bought the 211k

next call I was told only if I used the 211k in my RV, I don't have an RV

I know the sales people are poorly trained and probably don't pay attention when being trained

My question is where can I get an answer.

I want a Hopper and 1 or 2 Joeys AND I want to keep the 211k

Hope someone can help

Thanks

2. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Officially Dish doesn't allow you to have a 211 with a Hopper system unless you are using the 211 for a camping/RV kind of situation. I'm not saying that there aren't some people who are either technically savy enough or paid someone (independent retailer/installer) to set up a 211 with a Hopper system, but Dish doesn't officially support that configuration, so if you have it done you won't be able to turn to Dish for tech support and/or service calls if something goes wrong.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the range of the advice given the TS is any indication, support may not be all that valuable. The ViP211K isn't a very complicated unit.

I'd like to have a Hopper and a ViP211K myself so I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out.

4. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    The 211 can only be used with a Hopper if you own the 211 it can't be LEASED. The 211 can only be used on a Hopper system in a RV or for tailgating time to tell a tall tale about your usage. The Hopper uses a NODE the 211 can't run off the NODE it must have a line from the satellite dish to the 211.

5. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    This is true, it's not complicated, but I figured it was fair to let Grippy know exactly what getting a 211 w/ a Hopper system would entail, since you can't go directly through Dish to get it done. For some people that's no big deal, others just wouldn't want to bother if it takes any kind of special effort.

6. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Yes, you can but you must return the 211k you have now and purchase one. "DishDepot" is one source and they aren't too expensive.
    There are wiring diagrams on how to do it on this or maybe another dish related forum on how to set it up at home so that you can have it connected when you aren't using it for tailgating or camping, etc.
    You may need to buy a DPP44 switch depending on which dish you currently have installed. I would guess that if you can't do it yourself, you will need to find a local installer that can do it. It isn't hard to do your self but you will need to find the diagrams so understand what has to be done.
    Do search using Google and you will no doubt find the info you need.

7. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=12pt]Grippy,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The answer to your question is yes but with the Hopper/Hopper w/Sling, the 211k will not be compatible with the in home TV’s. And there would be an additional monthly charge for a receiver you can’t use.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks[/SIZE]