1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tough times for TiVo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Company struggling in DVR market it helped create
    By Stuart Elliott and Ken Belson, The New York Times
    August 23, 2004

TiVo has changed the way people watch television and added a new word to the vernacular. But that does not mean TiVo, the company, is thriving.

TiVo, which helped introduce the digital video recorder, or DVR, in 1999, now faces an onslaught of competition from cable systems and satellite operators, which are quickly eroding TiVo's once-dominant market share.

In late May, the company announced a first-quarter loss of more than $9 million, despite a 21 percent rise in revenues, to $25.2 million.

Adding to those woes was the recent disclosure that TiVo would lose its exclusive deal to supply DVR technology to satellite operator DirecTV, which has been its largest source of new customers.

More

2. brykc14

brykc14 Legend

Jun 14, 2004
    Thats always been my biggest complaint about Tivo. Dont get me wrong I love my tivo, but when I got my first one and paid 400 dollars for it and brought it home and hooked it up and then seen I had to pay a monthly fee or 299 more for a lifetime. I was floored. I thought what the hell. I just saved up 400 dollars to buy this and now they say they want me to spend another 300 to keep using the features. I almost took it back, but I didnt because I was hooked. But I did go 2 years without paying the fee. But I finally got a better job so I was able to pay it now. To this day when I talk about how great a tivo is to my friends and family I almost have them sold, but as soon as they find out about the other fee there jaw drops and says 299 more just to use it, I dont think so. And to see where they said thats where they plan on making the lost money up, I can see why a great product like tivo may no longer be if they dont change the way they think.

3. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I doubt that people will be willing to pay a premium and/or extra fees for TiVo as more competitors enter the market. I don't see how they'll compete with cable and satellite companies that offer a similar product at a lower price. It's just a matter of time until all these devices offer similar features.

4. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Why would any one want to pay extra for a Tivo with the Slowest Guide in the world.
    The Direct TV Tivos guide is slower than my old APple II computer.

When for No extra Fees I can get the standard DVR with a very fast Guide.

I think this is why Direct TV is dumping Tivo or at least pushing it to the side.

5. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Huh? 21% rise sounds decent.

I wonder if they'd be better off raising the price of the box by $100 and foregoing the monthly fee. It's a hard sell to after 20 years finally figured out how to program the VCR.

Philips' new HDD+DVR (hard drive + DVD recorder), uses the FREE quide plus program guide. Sure it has ads, but it goes out a week and say it with me kids... FREE. Even has an IR blaster for cable box control (no sat data unfortunately).

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    If the guide is really that much of a problem, maybe TiVo isn't your thing, but to me the slow EPG is just one of the very few negatives of the TiVo software. For everything that it does and how well it does it, I have no problem waiting an extra 3 seconds for the guide to fill in. Plus I hardly ever use the guide any more, I use the search function twice as much as I use the guide. I would have no problem paying up to $10 a month for the TiVo software with Season Pass and Wishlist capabilities.

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'll take a slow guide and all the other features of the TiVo over the bugs, crashes, wipeouts and other 'features' of my DIshplayer as soon as I can afford the switchover.

8. Flyboy917

Flyboy917 Legend

Oct 24, 2003
    Tivo's marketing people blew it. I bought a Tivo the day it was introduced, then I watched the commercials advertising it. I was dumbfounded. Their commercials didn't explain a damn thing about Tivo. Pause Live TV was the only thing they ever touted....and they didn't even explain that.

I have loads of Friends that had heard about Tivo, seen the commercials, and never thought anything about getting one until they came for a visit and saw one in action. "Wow, it can do that!!!"

If Tivo would have marketed their product correctly, every house in America would have one or have it on their "wish list". Heck, their are still a lot of people who don't even know what it is!

Flyboy

9. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Another problem is that there is no technical information on the TiVo web site. I went there to find out some info (was thinking of getting my parents one for Christmas) but they have absolutely no information on that web site.

10. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    DirecTV is not dumping TiVo or pushing it to the side.

And no, the DirecTiVo's guide is not the slowest guide in the world. The guide on the Dish Network model 3000 that I have was slower to browse through.

I gladly pay for the 4 DirecTiVos that I have now, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

11. gglockner

gglockner AllStar

Mar 25, 2004
    Amen to that. I believe most TiVos are sold when someone sees one at a friend's home. Also, it's one of the few gadgets I know where the wives bug their husbands to buy one!

12. DBSPaul

DBSPaul Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 26, 2002
    I've easily sold at least 20 TiVos when friends come over and I can show the real power of the machine to them. It doesn't take that long to demonstrate, just someone who has adjusted to the TiVo "lifestyle" and knows the interface well.

13. joema

joema New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    I totally agree. I just recently got two Tivos (DVR120 and HR10-250), and was flabbergasted at the capability. Previously I *thought* I understood what Tivos did, but I was wrong. Over the years I criticized Tivo users many times as people who couldn't figure out a VCR. The Tivo advertisements emphasizing pausing live TV was ridiculous to me.

Now that I have two DirecTivos and see the capability, I'm almost angry that the Tivo marketing people did such a poor job. If clever marketing can sell soft drinks that are mere sugar water, why couldn't they better represent Tivo, which has unbelievable advantages. Although I'm a late convert, at least I now see the light. But the poor marketing is a tragic missed opportunity.

14. Flyboy917

Flyboy917 Legend

Oct 24, 2003
    Agreed!

Flyboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.