1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour of California recording problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by starrsrg, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starrsrg

starrsrg Cool Member

May 19, 2004
    I'm not sure the right forum for this, but since I'm trying to record on an HR20 (and I know of another person with similar problems on an HR20) I thought I'd start here.

We have a series link for Cycling on Versus. For some reason the series link picked up the Tour of California prologue on Sunday but only recorded just the first 30-40 minutes. The next episode it picked up was on Saturday I think (missed every episode during the week). I can believe this might have been due to first run/rerun status not being in the guide properly, but I'm not sure.

I didn't want to bother troubleshooting the series link so I set up manual recordings for every showing this week. Each one is on at the same time every night, and I got no conflict messages when I set them up. Last night we tried to watch the night's showing and saw that only 51 minutes of the hour had been recorded. Nothing seemed out of place, we have two tuners active and no other recordings that would have 9 minutes of pad at the beginning. I can't figure out if the guide information is screwy or if there is something wrong with the HR20. I remember having similar problems early on with recordings getting cut short, but hadn't seen anything in months. Has anyone else had similar problems, either in general or with guide data on Versus?

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is likely a guide issue and it's a good thing that you are on top of the problem.

3. BJM

BJM Godfather

Dec 9, 2006
    The race is this week so Sunday would have been the first programming (unless there was a preview show last week I missed, but Sunday's SD version seemed like a preview show).

4. starrsrg

starrsrg Cool Member

May 19, 2004
    Last night we got only 3 minutes of the hour show. I checked the history and the three recordings were listed as partial due to the shows becoming unavailable.

I did some searching here last night and it sounds like that means either the guide data got messed up during the recording or we lost the feed briefly during the recording but I didn't see a workaround/resolution to the problem.

When I checked the guide for tonight's showing it wasn't even marked to be recorded anymore so I don't know what is going on. I think I'll try scheduling on the HD channel tonight and see if it works any better.

5. JackBikes

JackBikes AllStar

Feb 14, 2008
    I have watched 3 recordings so far this week, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday on VersusGolfHD. Other than the pixilation that Verus always gets during bike races, I got the full measure on these shows.

Of Note: Sunday on Versus SD, the program was on for two hours, but was only 1 hour on HD. Luckily I have recorded both.

6. desertbriez

desertbriez AllStar

Jan 23, 2008

same here!

i have it set up to record both HD and SD just in case it happens again (and of course the live feed on the computer is AWESOME!)

7. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    I am having the same problems!

The problems seemed to start at the end of last year - but since cycling hasn't been on VS since then, I havent seen a problem.

Last weeks preveiw show only taped 10 minutes - in History it said cancelled because program became unavailable...

I went a ahead and manually selected all of the shows for the week to make sure I had them - thinking maybe it was due to an error in the record all episodes feature.

Sundays Prologue - after getting home from the prologue start (not knowing who had won) I turn on the unit and see that it only taped 1HR and 35 Minutes - Right up to the top 5 riders left to ride...

Monday - no taping at all - I was at home at the time so I had already switched to the 603 - I called DirecTV while the show was running and the cust serv rep said there was some problem with my HD package and some other conflict and she had fixed it and that would solve everything.

Tues - after going to the race - I came home, and before going out to eat, changed the current channel to 603 just in case it didn't record again. At 8:15 I turned the box back on and it had only recorded 9 minutes showing the orange bar for those 9 minutes, and then green bar for the remaining time - I called DirecTV told them I have had this problem for months and for the last 3 days straight - Cust Service didn't know why, saw no other problems listed - wants to replace my Box!

I don't want a new box - since I don't think that will solve it! It is only on Chanel 603 that I seem to get problems...

Does anyone have any ideas. My box is an HR20-70 and is just over 13 months old.

8. starrsrg

starrsrg Cool Member

May 19, 2004
    For what it is worth yesterday I scheduled the episode on the HD channel using the remote scheduler online and the whole hour was recorded. The only problem is that the video kept pixellating and it was almost unwatchable. I'll check my signal strength tonight but it sounds like this might be a problem with Versus.

I'm really hoping these issues get resolved before July. We had no problems recording the Tour de France last year and I really don't want to miss it this year because of some stupid guide problems. There are lots of posts here about this "recording became unavailable" issue. It sounds like the HR20 is very sensitive to guide data changes which can be good if a show is extended at the last minute, but I gather if the guide data is lost the recording will stop and will not resume even if the guide data comes back. I'm still not sure if the problem is on my end or not.

9. JackBikes

JackBikes AllStar

Feb 14, 2008
    I noticed last night that the race is not shown on 604 HD tonight or Friday night, so I had to set 603 SD to record.

604 is showing PGA Golf.

I'm wondering if they will do the same during the Tourde France? Sure have to keep on top of things.

10. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    "Sure have to keep on top of things." This sums up the difference in TIVO based R10 Directv DVRs and the R20s. Don't get me wrong I have no regrets getting HD thru the R20 and it is much beter in a lotta ways than the TIVO R-10. But it sure would be nice if when you set up a season pass you didn't have to "keep on top of things" to be sure you got all the recording you intended to. By the way let Levi Leipheimer ride!!! the Tour De France.

http://www.letleviride.com/

11. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    Thursday Night - Same Problem Again!!! Partial recording - history says, cancelled becasue program became unavailable!

I sure would like to figure out how to fix this.

On a second note - I switched to the channel again during the recording (around 8:10 PM) - and around 8:15 it stopped, I just switched to the channel via the guide and it showed a partial orange bar and then a green bar from where it stopped. In my recorded shows list it had one for 13 minutes. I then hit record again and it changed the bar from Orange/Green to all Orange and included all the way back to 8:00 PM - so now I had 2 recordings of the beginning of the show - I did end up with the whole hour the second time...

This is really strange!

12. JackBikes

JackBikes AllStar

Feb 14, 2008
    Montel,

Maybe you need to reboot. As in off and on. Just a thought. Last night's show of the Tour down the coast was solid, even in SD. I really felt for the riders. Two hours longer to ride than past years. WOW.

Oh yea, let Levi ride!

13. starrsrg

starrsrg Cool Member

May 19, 2004
    Mine didn't record at all. :( I don't have the time or energy to babysit these recordings so I'm going to just look online to see how the day's events go. I haven't had these types of problems since the first couple months after we got the HR20 (right after it was released). It is frustrating to have to deal with partial/missed recordings after nearly a year of no problems.

14. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    I have done that recently - but I will try again tonight just for kicks!

It sure seems like a system wide problem with just 603 as others are reporting problems as well...

I am also going to try a new series link and move it all the way to the top from its current posistion of #3 in the priority list.
    Doing manual selections of each recording isn't working.

15. donyoop

donyoop AllStar

Apr 6, 2007
    My recording was only 2 minutes, terminated due to lost guide data.

btw, thanks for the link, ticmxman. I signed the petition. Let Levi ride!

Don

16. Montel

Montel Mentor

Jul 20, 2007
    The deleting of the series link for cycling and adding a new one and then moving it back to #1 on the priority list seemed to work this weekend. All shows recorded complete - I of course made sure to be sitting in front of the TV or had it on channel 603 before I left, but hey it works so far - fingers crossed....

17. starrsrg

starrsrg Cool Member

May 19, 2004
    We got both shows on Saturday and Sunday, but Sunday's show was only 1 hour and 3 minutes so we stopped it and deleted it about 30 minutes in (we didn't want to watch and have it just get cut off before the finish). In the end we only watched about an hour total of coverage because it was either too pixellated (HD recording) or incomplete. I'll try deleting the series link and making a new one as well. I want this to work in July. We don't want to miss the Tour de France!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.