Last Wednesday, we tried to watch Frozen at home. My wife says, " Did you light a candle?" The next door neighbor had a baby sitter who tried to make fries. Throwing the frozen fries in a pan of hot oil resulted in oil popping out of the pan and catching fire. She threw the pan in the sink and turned on the water. Whoosh! or whatever term is used for splattering hot fiery oil. Within a few minutes, the fire exploded out the back window and up the wall. I watched the fire as it exploded the upper window. The fire was about 2 feet from the eaves of my home. We live in a townhome and share a common wall...which is where the kitchen is. The baby sitter had the presence of mind to call 911 even though her arm was seriously burned. A neighbor walking his dogs had run into the house and thrown a wet towel over the fire. Evidently this slight delay is what prevented the fire from spreading to my house. The fire department got there in time to prevent any fire damage to my home, but the neighbors townhome is almost a total loss. Everything is working out OK. The neighbors found a small furnished house for rent a short distance away ( a miracle around here), our house is getting cleaned of smoke and residue, etc. Couple of things to note. The American Red Cross showed up and took us under they're wing. Put us up in a hotel for 3 days so we could get the insurance company moving on everything. They were great! I feel as I wasn't prepared for this emergency. I'm now taking steps to make documents for emergency contacts, etc., and may even make a runaway kit. Ask yourself what you would do. Are you prepared?