1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tracking Returned Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by linuspbmo, May 12, 2014.

1. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    I recently returned a defective H25 receiver and dropped it off at the Post Office with the return label. They gave me a receipt with a tracking number that I checked on over the next week. The tracking showed that the package was "picked up and processed by the shipping agent" but no other information about who picked it up or where it was picked up. Is there more information forthcoming or is that all the Post Office will provide.

Thanks

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That's it.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Post office really stinks at tracking packages.

4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    They used to. Originally it wasn't tracking, it only told you when an item was picked up and when it was delivered. Now it gets scanned along the way. IIRC, the return boxes for defective items are actually delivered by UPS or Fedex, so the USPS tracking ends when those companies receive it.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    just because it gets scanned does not means it gets reported online in a timely fashion. Both UPS and FeDex are excellent at tracking, specially with timely reporting. a Company I use quite a lot uses USPS and I get the updates for tracking usually the date I receive the package. and yes, they use the tracking service as they ship 2 day Priority Mail

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Just keep your receipt for a few months. Just in case.....

7. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks, In the 13 years I have been with Directv I have never had to return a receiver. Hopefully I won't have any problems with my first.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Chances are you won't, but every now and then, there is an issue.

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Up until a few years ago, USPS "tracking" information wasn't uploaded until the carrier returned to the office with his scanner. The newer scanners update shortly after each use like the ones UPS and Fedex use.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    perhaps where you live because it does not work that way in my town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    AFAIK, it was a national upgrade a few years ago. You would have to live in the sticks to not have gotten it.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I did not get anything and from the looks of it neither my mailman... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    The last time that I returned a dead DVR a few months ago, that is the way it worked. Initially, the tracking number worked on the USPS site, but after the postal service turned it over to FedEx, I was able to just enter the tracking number in a Google search, and the Google search recognized the tracking number as a FedEx number, and it took me directly to the Fed Ex site, and the tracking continued on the Fed Ex site until delivery to DIRECTV was completed.

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Tell you what, the next time you receive a package by the USPS, check the online tracking before he gets back to the office. I'm guessing it will show as delivered before he gets back.

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    A lot of times, USPS tracking looks bad because shippers often use a hybrid shipping version, such as FedEx Smart Post, where the package is first given to FedEx (or UPS or some other logistics company) who takes the package across the country and delivers it to the local post office. The package is then delivered by the regular letter carrier. The logistics companies are REALLY good at moving packages from hub to hub. But, they don't have nearly the "to the door" delivery capabilities that the USPS does.

When this this type of service is used, FedEx (or whoever) doesn't provide tracking information to the USPS. So, the USPS doesn't know about it until they receive it. If the shipper provides a USPS tracking number to the customer. rather than a FedEx tracking number, it makes the USPS look bad.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are worried about it, call DTV and ask them if they showed the receiver returned on your account.
    I returned a dead HR23 a couple of years ago. I waited 2 weeks and called. The lady checked and said it showed it was returned on my account.

17. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    I don't mean to change the subject but I too returned a defective HR34 and when I looked at the return address on the label it said "Joe Rodriguez, El Paso Texas." Is this a legit address? I googled it and all I could find was a Texas senator named Joe Rodriguez and residing in El paso texas so that can't be it.

18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    What was the street address?

19. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    That was the same address on mine.

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is possibly where their "Refurbish" center is for the receivers. Labor is very cheap there compared to most of the USA.