1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade in Sony SAT-T60 for HR20?...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dbassman, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbassman

dbassman Mentor

Jul 27, 2007
    I currently have a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo that I've had for years and absolutely love it! I'm planning on going to HiDef though and have a few questions....

From everything I've read, if I want all the HiDef channels, my only choice is the HR20 DirecTV DVR. From all the reading I've done on DBSTalk.com and TiVoCommunity.com, the HR20s had a lot of problems in the beginning, but now are fairly stable. Is this a correct statement?

Is TiVo going to come out with a unit that will get all the new HiDef channels that DirecTV will have or are we just stuck with the DirecTV DVR? If TiVo is coming out with one, is there an ETA on it?

Can another hard drive be added to the HR20 in order to increase the recording time more than 30 hours in HiDef?

If I end up with one of the HR20 "lemons", how well is DirecTV at replacing them?

Is it true DirecTV locks you into a 2 yr. commitment w/ the HR20?

I've had a hard time finding what have outputs on the back of the HR20, can someone help me out with this and if possible provide a picture of the back of the unit?

Thanks in advance!

2. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I have to say that the HR20 has become a very stable machine. I can't say that you won't have any trouble with it as that is just "luck of the draw" :) much like buying a car.

I have a SAT-T60 and would never trade it in. Keep it, use it somewhere else. Use it as a backup. It's still a great machine also. Throw it on a TV out in the garage...

The commitment is pretty standard with any new service you sign up with. Most cell phone companies are requiring you to sign for 2 years. The time will go fast, my 8+ years have flown by.

As far as some good reading on both HR20 models check these places:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=61862 -700
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=83811 -100

and many other questions can be answered in this Forum as well:

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, that is correct... the HR20 is the only DVR available today, that can access the MPEG-4 feeds.

TiVo has not be contracted to create a new system that can access the new HD streams.

You add an external eSATA drive to provide larger recording times. It replaces the internal, it is not "added to".... You can get as big as 3TB if you so desired

If you happen to get a lemon, they will replace it.

Yes you must agree to a 2 year programming commitment with the activation of ANY advanced product, that would include the HR20

There are plenty of pictures in the INFORMATION sub forum.
    But basically, it has all the standard HD connection (component, HDMI, optical audio, COAX Audio (-100 model only), composite)

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    1. You'll miss the reliability of the T60...but if you want a DVR for the HD programming coming from DirecTV you have no choice but to get the HR-20. Reliability is opinion based...some here will say it's more stable than any device ever sold others will tell you it's a rather pricey paper-weight. The answer is somewhere in the middle. It still has a number of bugs and quirks.

2. Neither DirecTV or Tivo have announced any such plans. I guess it could happen someday...but there has been no indication of that occurring.

3. You can add an external eSATA drive to the HR-20 which will, in effect, replace the existing drive. In other words whatever size external drive you attach is the total (minus system overhead) HD capacity the device will have available.

4. All depends on the Customer Rep you get on the phone, but by now they seem to be pretty good at sending out replacements.

5. Yes, it is a two-year commitment with penalty fees for default. After your 90-day warranty is up if they replace a defective unit they will also re-start the two-year commitment. Unless you pay them a monthly maintenance fee of $7/month.

6. Here's a link to the manual. Don't believe everything you read in there, but it should give you the basics on the outputs.
    http://www.directv.com/see/pdf/060508HR20UserGuidev1_0b.pdf

Here's a review of my experiences with the HR-20: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=91721

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Welcome to the forum! As Coffey77 said, there is always a chance that you'll get a lemon, but this DVR is much, much improved from its early days. I've read posts on other forums complaining about it and it seemed like people weren't working on current information. In the last six months, I think there have been about 8 major software releases for the HR20 fixing bugs and adding features. They're working hard to give you the best possible experience.

...and remember, everything here is based on users' opinions. Everyone's is different and yours may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.