1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transfer shows off HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by drew64, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1 of 38
    drew64

drew64 Legend

Jun 12, 2004
    I have 2 HR21 DVR's. They are very slow with respect to the guide and changing channels. I ham pretty full on thr drives as well with one having only 28 percent free. I would like to upgrade to the HR 24 DVR. My question is , is there a way to get the shows on the HD onto an external HD. I can put them on DVD with my recorder but would take a while.

2. Aug 3, 2010 #2 of 38
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Recordings are encrypted and locked to the receiver that recorded them. Even if you copied the data to another drive, only your original DVR could play them.

3. Aug 3, 2010 #3 of 38
    mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Burning them to DVD is the only way to "archive" those shows.

4. Aug 3, 2010 #4 of 38
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
  5. Aug 3, 2010 #5 of 38
    Everyperson

Everyperson AllStar

Nov 26, 2006
    If it's not copy protected.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #6 of 38
    sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Not an issue since the device he listed doesn't have any HDMI ports....

7. Aug 3, 2010 #7 of 38
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    ^^^

Not for long (LINKY)

8. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    I read the article. My big question is will all this newly manufactured equipment come with only HDMI outputs and nothing else? That's the one point I couldn't clearly get out of it. I mean people still own working older HDTV's and regular TV's that have just S-Video, Composite, Component or DVI inputs so I would assume support for legacy connections would still be necessary for a certain period of time.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yeah, there's a provision called the "analog sunset" that will mean no new equipment from 1/1/11 will have component outputs and manufacturers will be allowed to send firmware to older boxes that will limit the component outputs to 576i. The linked article discusses it.

10. NaperDan

NaperDan Legend

Jun 8, 2009
    kevinwmsn:

Not necessary, unless you are just really desperate to watch all of your recordings in HD. Also, if you're OK with the degraded resolution to 480p-standard def but, still widescreen format, an s-video cable will do. You probably won't notice that big of a difference on a smaller tv. The 1/1/11 issue doesn't affect that, BTW.

11. NaperDan

NaperDan Legend

Jun 8, 2009
    Those manufacturers that want to stay in the business will still be able to include non-HD outputs such as s-video and composite.

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Absolutely true. The max output resolution for analog will be 576i. No problem with standard-def outputs. The requirement is that to output 720p and higher you must be using a digital source that supports some variant or future replacement for HDCP.

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Does anybody know if our DVRs can be programmed to implement this protocol? Does their firmware currently contain the AACS spec?

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes the DVRs can already output with HDCP. There was a test channel for this at one point. There is no requirement that HDCP be used, only that it be capable of being used.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The requirement to support this was in place at least 3 years before the launch of the HR20, so, yes, all HR2x's definitely support the ability to lock down the analog outputs. So do all cable boxes and Dish's HD receivers. You can be sure that anything with an HDMI, which is required to support ALL HDCP functions, is designed for this.

16. Cyberclaw77

Cyberclaw77 Cool Member

Aug 1, 2010
    So.... if/when this lockdown occurs, will I still be able to enjoy high-def programming through my HR22's component outputs??

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    This will totally suck if it is implemented. I can think of a couple of installs I did in the late 1990s where I buried component video cables in walls and floors in order to make them HD ready. Both of these customers were early HD adopters and are using monitors that only have component inputs. To upgrade to HDMI will cost them tons of money. Their only saving grace is I also bet I put in a run of CAT-5 that isn't being used now and I could make work for a future HD connection.

I just thought of a third system I did like this. I better stop typing before I remember a fourth.

18. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Still trying to figure it out....but as of yesterday's firmware update to my HR22-100, my receiver does not seem to output over s-video of the red/white audio connections at all.

19. ZTerry

ZTerry AllStar

May 24, 2007
    You can burn them to DVD-R or DVD+R, retaining HD quality and 16:9 aspect ratio, by using the Haupauge HD PVR.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

(Ok, see this had already been discussed - but will leave in as confirmation.)

20. ZTerry

ZTerry AllStar

May 24, 2007
    I don't see anything about firmware updates to older euqipment, which would defeat the purpose of buying addional equipment this year to avoid the restriction.