1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Transfering programs.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by John Buckingham, Mar 24, 2013.

1. John Buckingham

John Buckingham AllStar

Sep 15, 2006
    I'm upgrading to lastest dvr. Could so tell me if there is a way to save my programs?

Thanks,

John

2. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    No way to do it- Change the receiver lose your programs.

Write down your series links so you input them.

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    You can transfer them to a dvd recorder or *gasp* a vcr. You have to do it in real time.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you could make a copy of that old drive to preserve timers/series links, but all recording will be not playable and you'll need to delete them to release space

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If your goal is to be able to view all of the programs that are recorded on the DVR, then your best bet may be to have the new DVR installed as an additional receiver until you have the time to view everything that is already on the old DVR. This will cost you $6 per month, until you are able to watch everything and return the old DVR.

If you're looking to save archived content, which you want to keep forever, then you can't do this with another DirecTV DVR. You will need to copy it to another format (DVD, VHS or hard drive of an external DVR).

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Another option if you don't have a ton of recordings you need forever (you just want to watch them once and delete) could be the Nomad. It would allow you to take those programs and trancode them into a portable copy that can be put onto your computer, iPhone or iPad. Those recordings could then be watched on those devices even after the DVR is removed from your system and sent back to DirecTV.

Be aware though, that these portable copies are only good for 30 days (they will delete themselves after that). And, any update to the Nomad app could cause them to be lost.

7. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Does the 30 days expiration include programs transcoded into your device I.e. ipad,PC,smartphone, or just in the nomad app?

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if DRM left intact after transcoding