1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring old programs to external drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ruby2zdy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ruby2zdy

ruby2zdy New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Everything I've seen on forums has told me that you can't move or copy your recorded programs to an external eSATA drive. It'll ruin one of the drives or blow up the receiver.

But I found a company on line that says they do that, and also transfer your Prioritizer & To Do list. Of course, you have to send them your HD-DVR and they expect you to buy your external HD from them. I had already bought it & anyway who can go w/o TV for a week? You'd get all weaned from it & then you'd have spent those thousands of $$ for your HD screen/receiver/service for nothing.

I have a DirecTV HD-DVR HR-20. I'd like to put the external drive on tomorrow, sort of between seasons. Does anyone know how to transfer the old programs (and programming) onto the new drive?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  3. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    I'm not sure I understand what your end goal is. Are you trying to move your existing recordings to a larger esata so you will have them all in one place? Or are you trying to replace the internal drive with a larger one and not lose your existing recordings? When you connect an esata drive it takes the place of the internal one. No recordings are lost. Just unplug the esata reboot and all the internal recordings are available. Redoing the season passes on the esata is a pain but IMHO not worth the money to pay someone else to do it, not to mention the down time and shipping charges. Also the HD's are "married" to the box the recordings were made on. So if the box takes a dump any hard drive used with it will not play on another box. :)