1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring recording from one 622 to another 622

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by melmsrt4, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melmsrt4

melmsrt4 Cool Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I've been having problems with my 622 losing signal and resetting itself. I call DN and they send they would send me a new one, but when I asked about my current recording on the my 622 they said that they would be lost. I don't want to burn to DVD, I just want my old recording on the new 622. Also my recoding schedule would be nice to get transfered over also. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    There is currently no way to do this. If you don't burn the programs to DVD they will be lost. You will always loose your timers and other configurtion settings. There has been suggestions made for a while now about being able to backup the timers and configuration settings to an external device such as a USB key, but nothing has come along so far.

This is the pain of replacing a broken 622.

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk melmsrt4. As Chuck said, there is no way to transfer your recordings or settings.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Try Norton Ghost to copy whole disk ;).

5. melmsrt4

melmsrt4 Cool Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks for the Welcome and being so reponsive guys. I have an installer coming out on Weds maybe they can get me existing 622 working. I noticed that some of my problems started after some high winds but have been getting progressively worse since then. The unit losses signal goes blank then after two minutes it goes through a selfreset. Last night it did the selfreset about 5 times during "Hell's Kitchen" which I was trying to record. I finally got the unit to recover to a picture after the recording time was over.

Is what I'm describing typical for a misaligned dish? or broken 622? If I get realigned and get the new 4.06 (currently shows 4.05) could that fix my problem and not have to exchange 622s?

6. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    When we were dealing with the incredibly buggy 500 series (501 - 510) and replacing receivers every 6 months or so for various reasons, we got into the habit of taking digital pictures of each page of our timers before disconnecting. Then we could print the pictures, making notes on channels, etc. to make it easier to remember what all we had. And we too transferred our recordings from the dvr's to dvd. All a pain but this was our work around.

Being able to transfer settings and timers to a flash drive would have been heaven compared to the above!

7. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Since I believe this would require opening your 622 up and removing the hard drive and would most likely void your warrenty, I personally would not recommend it but I could see how this would be an option but not for the weary of heart.

8. Rovingbar

Rovingbar Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Yah, and then you'd have to open the replacement. Talk about a double whammy if DN felt litigious.

Watch it now or forever lose your bits.

:)

9. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    I tried it. Norton does not see the disk. ;)

10. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Were you using a version of Ghost that supports LINUX file systems? Not all versions do.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Ahh, sorry, there is a magic trick required. :( - check your PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.