1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transponder signal levels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Stephen J, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen J

Stephen J Legend

Mar 26, 2006
    I live in the Cleveland Market and have a 625 DVR. On the 110 Sat I get a great signal level on spotbeam 10 (108%) On the CONUS transponders the signal level is much less. (40 to 75%) Why? What causes one transponder at the same location to be that much better or worse than others? I just bought MLB EI last week, and was haveing a problem for a while getting the Marlin vs Astros and the Giants vs Padres. I just have the system installed back in Feb. Do I need to have a tech come out and readjust my Dish?

The 119 give a much better strength across the board (High 80's to low 90's)

This is of particular concern since Sportstime Ohio is on Tp 24, and I only have about a 71% streangth.

We had some strong storms earlier, but they finished passing thru about 2 hrs ago. Nowwe just have some light drisle.

Will Echostar 10 improve this?

Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    That signal strength is too low you do need a service call!!!

3. Stephen J

Stephen J Legend

Mar 26, 2006
    Thanks. But that still doesn't answer my question why would the spotbeams on 110 have over 100% strength, but the CONUS transponders have below 80. If the dish is getting a good strength on some transponders, then doesn't that mean that it is pointed correctly?

4. avediswolf

avediswolf Cool Member

Apr 14, 2005
    The only way I can think to explain is, go find a trusty mag-light.

Give it a wide beam, covers alot of area, but not as bright. ( Like a CONUS transponder )
    Give it a tight beam, covers less area, but much brighter. ( Like a spot beam transponder )

The transponder usually has about the same amount of power, but is focused on one small area, as compared to the full CONUS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.