1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transponders

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kroll3086, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kroll3086

kroll3086 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I have a very old system DRD420RE. It's an RCA receiver and I have probaby a very stupid question. I was scrolling through the different transponders, and was seeing that I different signal strength on some. It says 101W Satellite and then has a transponder 1 and have a 86 signal. As I change the transponders the signal will either be higher on some and lower on some.

Can someone explain what this is and please talk to me as if I am a child so I can understand:blush:

Thank you

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Here's the Wikipedia definition ....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder

One way to think of a satellite transponder is like a big fat radio channel transmitter carrying lots of TV channels. For example, Transponder 1 of DirecTV's 101-deg W (Satellite A) might have a dozen different standard definition TV channels carried on it. Some transponders, such as Transponder 1, are nationwide-beams and cover the entire US. Some transponders, such as Transponder 4, are spot-beams aimed at a small portion of the country. That's why the signal levels vary from one transponder to the next.

3. kroll3086

kroll3086 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Thanks for the info. Should I try to tune in each one or does it matter?

Thanks

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    No. You should pick a transponder, doesn't really matter which one (but don't take the few that are higher than all the others, pick one that is about average), then peak your dish on that signal.

When you are watching tv, the DTV receiver selects which transponder it needs to get the channel you are watching. You have no control at all over which transponder is selected (other than selecting a channel to watch).

Other than aligning a dish, or troubleshooting if you are having problems, there is really no need to look at transponder signal strength.

Carl

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you gonna fine tune your dish, use weakiest tpn for that.

6. kroll3086

kroll3086 New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Thank you guys for all your help. At least I understand all you guys were telling me. Thanks again

:)

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    But, don't pick one of the spot beam TPs. Some of these can be 0, very low or 100. On sat 101 they are 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, & 28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.