1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Treadmill causes loss of satellite signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gpsjunkie, Jul 23, 2013.

1. gpsjunkie

gpsjunkie New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Arizona
    We have a D12 in our exercise room. It's always worked fine. Purchased a new treadmill. D12 still works until the new treadmill is turned on, then we get a lost satellite message. When the treadmill is turned off, the D12 eventually returns to working without any intervention on our part.

Any thoughts as to the cause? RF emissions? Thoughts as to a fix?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is possible that the treadmill is drawing down the available power.
    Try using an extension cord and plug the treadmill up using this new location and see if it stops the D12 from working.
    If you have a Device called "Kill-A-Watt" you could plug that into the socket and then plug in the treadmill and see how much power it is drawing.

I believe that we had a post similar to this about a year ago and that is what was determined was wrong.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    As Jimmy says, we have had other posts like this and it always turns out to be a power problem. Your treadmill is almost certainly causing an overload to the power circuit, causing the voltage to other devices to drop. As another example of this, some people will report their lights dim when they switch on an appliance. Powering the D12 (or the treadmill) from a different power circuit is likely the only possible solution.

It's also possible the treadmill is generating noise on the electrical circuit, or that you have a grounding problem, but you would need an electrician to diagnose this properly.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    use voltmeter and measure voltage at socket of D12 when treadmill is on/off or the Kill-O-Watt device, it do shows V/A/atc
    if the voltage is OK (more the 90VAC), check cabling at D12: F-connector, its central wire should stick out for 1/8-1/4", how tight it, damages of the cable from a switch to D12 ...

check how good the treadmill grounded; is power socket has good ground ? get for $4 simple AC tester with three small lamps and get check on both sockets

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I saw something similar in a residence. Several items around the house would cause the satellite to search for signal. (exercise bike, washer, but not the dryer, microwave)

EVENTUALLY, I found a loose neutral bar in the breaker box.

Yeah, that was pretty far down on the list of things I checked. It was the last thing I could tighten in the breaker box. I was so glad to finally have fixed it I didn't charge anywhere close to what I should have.

6. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I would think that it's more likely that the treadmill motor is generating noise that is being feed back into the power line. This then disrupts the receiver.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    practically two-stage switching power supply suppose to filter out all noise on AC line

8. gpsjunkie

gpsjunkie New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Arizona
    Thank for all the help. Power overload seems to be the problem. Powering the D12 from another circuit appears to have fixed the issue. Now to find a more permanent fix than a long extension cord.

9. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Quit exercising :D

2 people like this.
  10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    lol Or do what most treadmill owners do... turn it into a coat rack.

3 people like this.
  11. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Bingo lol

12. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    [​IMG]

That's what I did. It's easier for me to walk my daily 3.5 miles in 100°+ temps than get on that thing [​IMG]

13. photojon

photojon Cool Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I have this exact problem but am trying to find a solution that doesn't require me to run an extension cord into the house. To recap, the receiver works fine until I start a new treadmill. Then after about a minute, I get the loss signal message and the image freezes. I have measured the AC voltage and turning on the treadmill causes less than 1volt drop (which is still just a bit higher than 120v). I have installed a ferrite on both the treadmill cord, as well as the receiver cord. None of these seem to work. As an exercise, I did use an extension cord and powered the treadmill from inside the house (otherwise its in the garage) and everything worked.

Any other ideas of things to try?

Thanks
    Jon

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you are not an electrician, this is about the right time to hire one. there is no magic trick to make this work as there is some thing “wonky” with the power line feeding that room.

15. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    One sure way is to put the D12 on a UPS. I use a 425VA unit and it takes care of any line problems.

SSTV