1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trial Period?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by fatpug, Oct 20, 2010.

1. fatpug

fatpug AllStar

Apr 11, 2007
    Does Directv offer any trial period after the installation?

What is the cancellation fee if I don't keep it for 2 years?

Is it possible to buy the equipment and get service without the 2 year contract?

Thanks!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    None unless your state has laws to the contrary.
    No cancellation fee after two years
    Yes. HR21PRO DVR from solid signal, or owned (and verified by DirecTv) from private sellers. May not be possible on a NEW account, Im not sure.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    $20 per month remaining.

4. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009

It IS possible to buy the equipment and NOT sign a 2 year contract. But:

1) there will be a $50.00 application fee

2) You will NOT get the promotional rate, you will be paying full price the day you activate..

5. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    You cannot activate a new account with all used equipment. At least one receiver has to be new from DirecTV.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Correct. DirecTV *does* have programs where you can purchase your equipment outright and not have a commitment. They even discount the equipment price. But there is no programming discount for this program, so you'll pay normal price for programming from the beginning. The receivers will be owned.

Most CSRs probably won't know about this program, and may tell you that it doesn't exist, but it does. You may need to escalate to a supervisor or something.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I just bought some stuff from someone that went this route. She paid cash for everything to avoid the commitment. $1700 total for what she got.

I asked why she was selling her gear and she told me because Cox was $50 less per month. :shrug: I guess there is a reason why some people never have much money. :nono: It's gonna take a long time to recoup that "investment" at $50 a month and the two Ben Franklins she got from me.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Plus, you will most likely pay for installation as well, which can be around $100 for a standard install if you don't do it yourself.

- Merg

9. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    With the purchase option I do believe install is still free. The other problem with the purchase option is a two receiver limit. If you need more than two rooms (you can diplex of course) you are stuck with this type of account. Also if you want more than one advanced product you are stuck there (so you can only one dvr, one hd or one hd-dvr period). Good luck either way.