1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tridef Stereoscopic 3D

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by IcedOmega13, Oct 10, 2009.

1. IcedOmega13

IcedOmega13 Legend

Mar 3, 2008
    Just ordered the tridef kit for my sammy hl61a750 dlp. Anybody have any experience with stereoscopic 3d here?

2. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I hear a lot of discussion lately about 3d.. not unusual as every few years it rears its ugly head again.. but the bottom line remains unchanged and unacceptable.

Any 3D system that requires the use of glasses is doomed to fail.

It is one thing to take in an ocaissional movie in 3d and wear glasses... it would be something else to do it all the time.

As long as the glasses are required, 3D will remain in the realm of geekdom.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have the tridef system and the Samsung HL61A750.

The PC I'm using contains a AMD64 3800+ (2.0 GHZ) with a GeForce 8600GT video card. The 3D is smooth as silk.

The experience is not bad. I have a stockpile of HQFS 3D discs that I purchased a few years ago using an older 3D system with wired shutterglasses. The frame rate on those was much lower and flickered like crazy.

The old HQFS discs work great with the TriDef software. The 3D is much better with very little noticeable flicker. Very impressive 3D and stuff just pops right out of the screen.

The "on the fly" conversion from 2D to 3D is not as good but still not bad. While it doesn't have the same "wow" factor as a real 3D disc, the conversion works pretty well. It's quite amazing actually.

The problem right now is there really isn't a lot of 3D stuff out there for this system. Plus, it doesn't support Blu-Ray. I just wanted to tinker to see what it was like.

It's definitely fun though.

4. IcedOmega13

IcedOmega13 Legend

Mar 3, 2008
    Thanks for the reply Chris, I'm eager to try it out. I was disappointed in the current lack of Blu-Ray support myself. I'm hoping that gaming is what is really what becomes worth it with games like Crysis and Fallout. I've heard the iZ3D drivers are great and work with most DirectX games.