1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tried out Brooklyn 99 and Dads last night

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by tsmacro, Sep 18, 2013.

1. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Immediately deleted the timer for B99 and didn't set one up for Dads, although it was the better of the two. As much as I like Andre Braugher I decided that I don't like Andy Samberg in anything longer than a five minute skit apparently, he just came across in a very irritating way that made the show difficult to watch. Even my wife said afterwards that if the focus of the show was going to center around Samberg, which it seemed to do, that she wasn't going to be able to watch it at which point I told her not to worry about that because I was deleting the timer. As for Dads like I said it was better than B99, but not great and we also decided not worth our time, also too bad as I usually like that Giovanni Ribesi or however you spell his name. Oh well I found an old episode of Gilligan's Island on later that I found myself enjoying and laughing at more than anything on either of those two shows and GI wasn't exactly the pinnacle of the sit-com world itself so that told me all I needed to know about those two new shows right there.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I personally don't expect Dads to survive long.

3. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I couldn't get through 5 minutes of Dads, it was awfull. Brooklyn 99 was the better of the 2, but not by much.

4. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I didnt care too much for bk99 I hate shows where adults act like teenagers, I really like andre braugher and terry crews though so i'm willing to give it another try or 2,as far as dad gos it wasnt that good either but i need to watch a few more episodes to make up my mind.

5. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    99 was okay. It's your typical laugh track from Fox. I will give it another week and then see.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I really wanted these to be at least ok. I'll give them 1 more week, but....

7. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Dads was horrible, the laugh track just made it worse. I expected it to at least make me laugh since it is coming to us by Seth MacFarlane. I guess he should just stick to animation.

Brooklyn 99 was better I liked the fact that it did not have a laugh track but the comedy wasn't what I was hoping for. I will watch a couple of more episodes but I honestly do not think either show will last.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Brooklyn 99 ain't no Barney Miller!

1 person likes this.
  9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I said the same thing today to friends out on the golf course.

If the 1st episodes are any indication, neither Dads nor Brooklyn 99 will make it.

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    It's not supposed to be.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I thought they were both funny and found myself laughing out loud a few times with each show.

12. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I know I said that IMO that Dads was the slightly better of these two shows, however after thinking about it I'm not sure that's really true. I think I just had higher hopes for B99 and it really disappointed me, I had a timer all set up for that one. Dads I really didn't care about one way or the other, my wife just said hey why don't we check it out so we did and I think the fact that I had no expectations what so ever meant that when it turned out to be not so great I wasn't let down. In any case I won't be going out of my way to watch either one again.

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I don't watch network programming now cause it's garbage. Fifty years ago network was very good.

14. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    B99 isn't great but it has its funny parts.

15. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Been watching it mainly because the other shows on at that time are even less appealing to me.

16. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    One episode of 99 was all that I could watch....Deleted from series manager.....

17. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I forced myself through three episodes before pulling the plug. As much as I enjoy Andre Braugher, I just couldn't stand the lead character.

18. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
  19. Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Iowa
    But it is supposed to be funny. It isn't. Typical Fox juvenile fare.

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I find it funny. To each their own...