1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried to Move to DirecTV But Changed My Mind

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by davidxlai, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidxlai

davidxlai AllStar

Jan 20, 2006
    I have been a E* customer for a couple of years now. I tried to switch over to D* recently for more HD contents but I had to cancel it at the end. I thought it would be an easy switch because I already have HD DVR from E* infrastructure that uses a splitter for the two tuners in the ViP-622. But as it turned out, D*'s H20 requires an extra cable to the dish. A splitter won't work for D*. So, I told the installer thank you very much I am staying with E* until they get their technology to the same level as E*'s.

2. Gilitar

Gilitar Legend

Jul 31, 2004
    Why didn't you just let him run another line? There shouldn't have been a charge to my knowledge.

3. davidxlai

davidxlai AllStar

Jan 20, 2006
    It will require the tech to run the line in the crawl space and drill more hole on the exterior of my house. I don't think that is worth the trouble even though it won't cost me anything.

4. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    He must have not heard of an SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch). It splits one wire to both inputs.

5. akhicks

akhicks Legend

Dec 10, 2007
    its called a seperater. dish uses different technology and you can seperate the feed to a dual tuner. the difference between dtv and dish is dtv uses there dual tuner for only one tv and with dish you can run two tv with a dual tuner (sure you knew that). good and bad for both. as long as the running of the second line is standard (no wall drops or anything to crazy) there shouldnt be a charge as Gilitar said. but if you have any questions or concernes the tech should take the time to hear you out and ease your mind the tech should also tell what he or she is going to do (where holes wil be drilled, cable route, estimate of cost, ect.) before any work is started. hope this helps.

6. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I understand about the easier cabling. My HOA makes everybody have thier cabling incased, and the casing has to be painted to match the exterior wall.
    Adding more cabling is a real hassle. Even with that, I was going to make the jump, until I played with the D* DVR, Family rebelled big time, no way would they change.

7. texaswolf

texaswolf Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2007
    the small hole and short time it takes would be worth it to you if your truly interested in more HD content...if that little bit isn't then i would have to think you really didnt want to switch that bad.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    IIRC SWM is still in testing and isn't a normal part of the installer's bag of tricks.

9. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    Some parts of the country are getting them now. Really hit or miss, though.

10. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Where can I buy one? Oh, not out yet. Doesn't really do much good then does it. ;)

11. Chinatown

Chinatown AllStar

Dec 13, 2003
    I had about 100 feet of cable, from the previous "D" matrix.

Yes, indeed, a much cleaner system with "E"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.