1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Triplexer vs Separator quality

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cutterzoo, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1 of 12
    cutterzoo

cutterzoo New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I currently own a DISH 625 receiver connected to a DPP Twin LNB through the CATV splitter, via a triplexer.

I'm going to be moving the receiver to a different location within the house, and also running some new cables while I'm at it.

Is there a signal quality benefit to homerunning the dish directly to the receiver via a separator, bypassing the CATV splitter, and then homerunning the Home Distribution output from the receiver directly to the input of the CATV splitter?

And if so, is there a benefit to using an actual separator, as opposed to just utilizing the triplexer as a separator-only without connecting the Home Distribution output to it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 4, 2013 #2 of 12
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Hey, DIRECTV customer here;

But from what I know about that type of Dish setup you shouldn't see any real difference. To begin with what you refer to as a "CATV splitter" is actually a "satellite/OTA diplexer" as indicated in the attachment which has no splitting losses beyond maybe the component's slight natural insertion loss of course.

And I can see no reason why a dedicated DPP band separator would perform any better than the triplexer's internal one.

But I'm curious, if you're thinking of running the dish feed passed the satellite/OTA dipexer and straight to the triplexer or other DPP separator, why don't you just remove the sat./OTA diplexer altogether and have the receiver's home distribution output connect directly to the rest of the TV2 back feed network with a simple F-to-F barrel connector?

3. Jul 4, 2013 #3 of 12
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    remove the "CATV splitter" and never use it for sat lines !

If you don't know difference between sat/catv switches/splitters/diplexors/etc - DON'T USE IT

4. Jul 4, 2013 #4 of 12
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A verbal description of what you're trying to accomplish (without mentioning specific devices) would be helpful. Phrases like "combining OTA" or "backfeeding" rather than diplexer, etc.

It is too easy to get notted up in device nomenclature when all you really want to do is hook it up the way it needs to be hooked up.

5. Jul 6, 2013 #5 of 12
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I would want to to know what you're trying to do as well as what devices are already inplce.

If you do not know the differences between the various gadgets - you are not qualified to be making changes without hurting your equipment.

6. cutterzoo

cutterzoo New Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks to some of you for your constructive advice. . .?

My sincere apologies for using the term "CATV splitter", as opposed to "Digital 4-way splitter". I could have blown up the entire house had I used the wrong device.

The project is finished, and no one died.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    :up:

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    And while we are on triplexers, every one I have ever seen has 3 jumpers attached to it and those jumpers have those cheap crimp on F connectors, that if they were ANYWHERE else in the system, the installer tech would have to replace them with his newfangled PPC fittings on PAIN OF DEATH.

Yet magically right behind the receiver, they are perfectly fine to use.

!rolling

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah;

For a long time I wondered about the same inconsistency on the DIRECTV side with their B Band Converters.

The pigtail on them used those same cheap hexagonal crimp-on F connectors. Unacceptable for install anywhere else in the coax plant, yet somehow acceptable right at satellite input(s) of the receiver.

Go figure ... :scratch:

10. eisberg

eisberg New Member

Feb 24, 2013

I am a dish installer, and yeah, I know what you mean. We have to use the the Dish approved F Connectors every where on the system, but are not expected to replace them on seperators/triplexers. I have never asked why that is, but the only thing I can think of is that we know the quality of those crimp on F Connectors installation, where as we do not know the quality of install for ones prior to the Receiver inside someones home.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's simple: these cables manufactured under close control of quality and passed all mechanical and electrical tests, so no worry - it's approved by the company

12. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I've never had a problem with the Dish separator/triplexer cables, however, B-band converters in the DirecTV world in my experience are very easy to break. The connector that goes on the receiver is fine, but whatever is just inside the housing apparently is pretty fragile.

I always am careful with them, but I carry several spares at all times.

For older MDU setups, D* and E* techs are sometimes at the mercy of whatever level of quality was deemed acceptable when the building was put up.