1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble in Egypt

Discussion in 'The OT' started by BigRedFan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 #1 of 10
    BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    BREAKING NEWS:

Just happened: Assassination attempt on Egyptian Vice-President ! Two bodyguards killed.... (AP Newswire)

Should hit all the news channels any minute now....

2. Feb 4, 2011 #2 of 10
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I think we all knew that something like this was inevitable. You have a country of 80 million people, with tens of millions disaffected. There would have to be at least one who would think that now is the time. I'm still amazed that no suicide bomber has blown himself up yet.

3. Feb 4, 2011 #3 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/0...empt-killed-bodyguards-sources-tell-fox-news/
    The "in recent days" and "yet to be confirmed" seem to slow the story a little. Hopefully there will be confirmation.

4. Feb 4, 2011 #4 of 10
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Hopefully, there will be a definitive repudiation...

5. Feb 4, 2011 #5 of 10
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Either way ... it seems to be at the level of "rumor" not news.

6. Feb 4, 2011 #6 of 10
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Mod Note: We're not going to play the "shoot the messenger" game ... this thread is about the trouble in Egypt.

On Topic:
    Fox is claiming it as an exclusive story now and have updated the story at the link above - It seems to have happened last Saturday:
    For general coverage of the day's events:
    CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/04/egypt.protests/index.html?hpt=T1
    Fox: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/04/day-departure-egypt-braces-mass-rally/

Al Jazeera's special section: http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/spotlight/anger-in-egypt/

7. Feb 5, 2011 #7 of 10
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    At the risk of being bombarded, I consider Fox News exclusive reports to be suspect--not as bad as the National Enquirer, but subject to validation by other news organizations.

8. Feb 5, 2011 #8 of 10
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I consider National Enquirer's reports to be more reliable than most, because they pay good money for them.

I have sympathy for anyone in the news business who gets an unconfirmable scoop. That business is so competitive that if they don't go with it but then get scooped, there is a good chance that someone gets fired. That's what did in Dan Rather. He didn't produce a fake document. He just capitulated to the pressure to present it to the public before his competitors did. In retrospect, what he did looks stupid to me, but I've never been on the verge of losing a million dollar a year job.

9. Feb 5, 2011 #9 of 10
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Again ... this thread is about Egypt. Please stay on the topic of Egypt.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've been closely following events in Cairo on AL JAZZEERA ENGLISH. It's the only news source I've found that make me feel like I am an armchair witness to history in the making.

Streaming here.