1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Trouble with late-model eSATA drives

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by gdavisloop, Feb 17, 2013.

1. gdavisloop

gdavisloop Cool Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I've been swapping out 2TB hard drives in my HR20 every few months, for years.
    But it doesn't like new WD or Seagate drives made after July, 2012. (ie, July drives work, August drives don't).

When I try to boot the HR20 with the newer drives, I get an error message during the self-check that says "can't find the storage."

Has anyone else run into this problem or have a suggestion on which of the currently-available drives still work?

thanks!
    -Gary

2. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    I believe the HR20 is still on SATA (not SATA II or SATA III) so double-check that the newer drives are backwards compatible, or if they have one, a jumper to limit the drive to SATA I