1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troubleshooting help needed, lightning storm last night

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by stimp, Jul 30, 2010.

1. stimp

stimp New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Had a lightning storm last night, and I believe it may have damaged something. During the storm I heard a loud thunderclap with a lightning bolt, that sounded like it hit right where the dish is.
    When I turned on the receiver I was receiving a searching for sattelite signal on the SD CHannel 247, 209, and a couple of others. I didn't try past 249.

I set up a record on one channel 209 (Tuner 2) and the signal is all over the place, and then tune to 247 and it is working fine on Tuner 1.

I then swapped the RG6 from the backs of the two BB, and 247 (Tuner) is losing signal and (Tuner2) Channel 209 is working great.

So this eliminates the receiver and the BBs, correct?

Now, I have a Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch after that. I swapped the two 18v and the two 13V, but noticed no change in tuners. I also swapped the 18V port 1 and the 13V port 2, but noticed no change in signal meter.

-By the way, The malfunctioning tuner is showing 50s and 60s on the 101, while the good tuner is showing High 90s. Before the storm, both tuners were showing high to low 90s.

Is this pretty much an indication of a partially fried LNB? Or could a few ports on my switch have gone bad?

I only have two Receivers plugged in at the moment (one a HD RCVR and the other HD DVR).

Is there a way to get my DVR working on both tuner? even if I have to sacrifice the rcvr?

Any recommendations, it is very hot in my attic today where the switch is located (90s outside) and jumping back and forth swapping cables is getting tiresome.

2. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Have you tried moving any of the multiswitch output (to receiver) connections around? If the problem follows the cable when you swap tuners, the problem is either the cable or the multiswitch port.

3. stimp

stimp New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Rechecked my connections. Previously I had swapped my rcvr which was on output 1 with line 1 on my dvr (which was output 3), and moved line 2 to another port (output 2). When I swapped my rcvr (output 3) with my DVR line 2 (output 2), the rcvr now has the bad signal. It appears now there may be atleast two bad outputs on my switch.

Not sure how the switch is wired, I moved the rcvr to output 5. Just in case all the even outputs are bad (I believe the dvr was originally hooked up to output 4). I will troubleshoot the rest of the outputs on a much colder day.

But atleast all three of my tuners our now rocking the high 90s on the signal meter.

Thanks, for the suggestion:)...got me to retry all those outputs.

Anyone happen to know how the WB68 is wired? Is input 1 wired to the Odd Outputs and Input 2 on the Even Outputs? Or is there some other magic going on underneath the cover?

4. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    Inside the 'box' is an electronic switch. The four inputs to the switch and locked on the four possible signal bands from the LNB. When you request a station at the receiver, it sends a signal to the switch requesting one of the four possible bands. The output to that receiver is then 'connected' to the appropriate input.

there is no hard wiring within the switch of a particular input to particular outputs - everything is switched.

5. GTS

GTS Member

Mar 4, 2007
    You obviously have a bad switch. Your current setup only requires 3 lines, 1 for the HD receiver and 2 for the HDDVR. Why not remove the switch altogether and prevent any possible problems in the future from the failing switch? Get 3 hi freq feed throughs, remove the switch and wire directly to three of the four lines coming in from the dish, doesn't matter which three. You'll have eliminated a potential for problems. If and when you need more outputs, then get a new switch and wire accordingly.

Just a thought.