1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Try runing System Test while recording a program

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wolffpack, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Just tried running a System Test while a program was recording. The R15 came up with the message that the recording may be interrupted, I said OK. Test ran and came up with the test again option. But as soon as that came up I was presented with the "do you wish to continue recording" message as there was a show on my SL that was possibly interrupted. Options are are keep recording, stop and save, stop and delete. Press any one of those and the message goes away for 2-3 seconds and reappears. This continues....I guess forever. Programming loop? Pressing EXIT finally did get me out of that loop but it appears I lost the entire recording. The R15 didn't even save what it had recorded prior to starting the test.

2. UPEngineer

UPEngineer Legend

Aug 8, 2004
    Every piece of software ever developed has bugs. And no programmer can account for every single scenario to crash a system.

But why run a system test while recording a program? I can probably venture to say that scenario was never contemplated.

3. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Which is why I posted this message to report a bug that the developers may not be aware of. After all, as you stated, every piece of software has bugs. Is there a problem reporting bugs?

Why did I run a System Test while I was recording a program. Because the unit let me do it. The unit also told me my recording may be interrupted and I agreed to proceed with the test. So, the developers anticipated the fact that someone may run a test while a unit is recording, they present the warning, they then disabled the recording. But once the test is complete they had no way to a) save the first portion of the record or b) resume the recording.

So in this instance the programmers accounted for everything I did except save/restart the recording. Doesn't matter WHY someone did something, only matters that they were allowed to do it, did it and how the system handled it.

In the end, that scenario must have been anticipated as there were warning messages. But there was no follow through or testing.

4. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    So he can complain about something. :D

5. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Obviously it had been contemplated, or else they wouldn't have mentioned it in the message. I think what you meant to say is that the scenario was never tested (which just shocks me ;))

6. Clint Lamor

Clint Lamor Hall Of Fame

Nov 15, 2005
    On of the things I would like to see corrected is dropping the recordings. I wonder why it flushes the buffer instead of writing it to disk? I would like to see it try and pick up where it left off, if nothing else start a second program. :)

7. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    I wonder if you would have gotten a partial if you had chosen "stop and save"?

AMEN, I second that. Seem like a basic DVR function that they over looked.

8. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    Wolf, don't ever stop testing. You are doing what I would like to, but due to my own aging, have run out of the patience. You are doing us all a great servic. Between you and Earl, I have gained the courage to stick with the R15.

9. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I tried all three options, same effect.

10. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Intersting.... Note to self don't do a system test it you have anything recording.

11. davenap

davenap Cool Member

Dec 30, 2005
    I almost ran into this when I was talking to tech support after I received a replacement R15 and I later saw that they had changed me over to a lease. After talking to them they said they would change it back to me owning the unit. They needed me to read them the number on my access card. I noticed that my unit was recording and that I could not/would not remove the card to read it to them. They said it would have no affect, I explained that it would and they finally understood. This has been a frustrating process with the R15. My new refurb unit is now missing SL's like my original R15 after running flawlessly for about three weeks. Im' still waiting to get the update over here in DC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.