1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Trying out FiOSTV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Artorture, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Artorture

Artorture AllStar

Feb 22, 2008
    I called dish today and told them I had discontinue service. The CSR that was helping me in the retentions department told me they will ship out packages to ship back my receivers. I am going to pay close attention to the first 30 days of FiOSTV. She told me I could hold onto the equipment for a certain number of day's, but I forgot how long I could before I will be charged. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance

2. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I recently had to replace my VIP722.

I think they said I had 10 days to return the old 722 with the dead hard drive.

3. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    I wish I had Fios. Un-recompressed HD is great, you won't want anything less back.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Call DISH back and put your account on hold it costs I believe $5/mo. if you still want to cancel after 30 days you can.

5. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    You have at least 30, maybe more days to return a receiver before they charge you. I cut off a VIP622 long ago, they took at least 3-weeks to even send me the box, and I took another 3 weeks to send it back. No charge.

No guarantees, but that's what happened to me recently.

6. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
    You are very lucky, I wish I lived in a FIOS area. I live in an AT&T area, and have had both DirecTV and U-Verse, DirecTV beats U-Verse, but I KNOW FIOS is King! Sweet, sweet fiber to the home, and uncompressed HD, and basically every channel you could want in HD.

7. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    That's un re-compressed. But yes, I share your feelings. I'm even worse off, 4200 feet from the crossbox. :(

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    If you return your boxes & don't like FIOS and go back to Dish, you'll have buy new boxes. I did that with U-verse which is garbage. Never again!

9. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
  10. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    No un-recompressed is correct and descriptive in this case, meaning not compressed more than the original is already compressed. For those that may not be aware, the originating (and highest quality) feeds from the networks are MPEG2 compressed. Verizon adds no further compression to that, unlike Dish and DirecTV that recompress that signal to MPEG-4 (and the old "HD-Lite").

11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Fios does not compress the signal that they receive for rebroadcast. To make up a word and call it un-recompression is utter nonsense, but I'm done with it. :rolleyes:

12. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    If the original signal is compressed via mpeg2 for transmission when does it get uncompressed in order for Dish or whoever to re-compress it via mpeg4? Just askin' because I always thought re-whatever implied whatever had been undone and then redone.:p

All I know is I wish my eyes were good enough to see the difference. Then maybe I would be upset about what others refer to as HD Lite. Since they're not that good I'm happy. May be HD Lite but it's still a whole lot better than the B&W through rabbit ears with aluminum foil on a 19" thing like we had 50 plus years ago.

13. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Yup. Uncompressed HD is 1.5gbps. CBS sent uncompressed HD from the Superbowl to NYC to get compressed there by CBS/ WCBS, which has the master control for the east coast for CBS, and in this case the whole country. It never left CBS studios in NYC uncompressed, however, no one has the bandwidth or the desire to do so. Even Blu-Ray is compressed, using MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 depending on the disc, at up to 70mbps.

14. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    ehh fios uses MPEG-2 no such thing as uncompressed..they just use much less compression

15. Justin85

Justin85 Legend

Jun 16, 2010
  16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
  17. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Would you people bother to read what's being said? The point is, and I will say it again, Fios doesn't re-compress the video. They just pass on the MPEG-2 stream directly to the customer.

EDIT: All the other providers re-compress the signal, Comcast from 19mbps MPEG-2 to 12mbps MPEG-2, while Dish and DirecTV use MPEG-4.

18. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    You will like fios picture quality ,but i recommend getting a tivo premiere HD box!For the best of both worlds on your tivo box you can get netflix,you tube,rhapsody,the frame channel and hundreds of internet videos plus music choice videos, blockbuster,amazon video on demand,and coming soon pandora!:D P.S. I got the XL tivo premiere which has THX, plus 150 hours of HD recording! or 1,363 hours of standard recording. Combine this with the quality verizon fios signal and you'll be in heaven!!

19. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    Verizon remuxes the Mpeg-4 stream back to Mpeg-2 to use in their system.
    The HBO/Cinamax stream is MPEG-4

20. Ambavi

Ambavi Cool Member

Sep 26, 2007
    What is the diff. between FIOS and AT&T U-verse? I am thinking about changing the service. The U-verse is available in my area. I have some tall trees in back and not getting good signal during summer season. Currently, I have Dish Network service.