1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to connect a HD DVR and a SD DVR in the same house...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by greatguru2k, Nov 13, 2010.

1. greatguru2k

greatguru2k New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi guys been checking this site out for some time now, ran into a problem... I did the NFL sunday ticket install and got a HD DVR(HR24-200), a HD Receiver (H24-200), and 2 SD Receivers (D12-100). When the tech did the install he said with the new setups the HD DVR only needed one cable coming in instead of two. I came across a SD DVR (R15-300) that I wanted to added to the computer room. When I plugged it in the first setup screen (searching for satellite signal) completes but the second screen (receive program info) never leaves 0%. Granted I haven't activated this receiver yet and not expecting to get channels just wanting to make sure its not a lame duck receiver. When I checked signal strength I was only getting hits on odd transponders. Tried a forced software update and never left 0%. Any suggestions? Do I still need to feed two cables in, even though my HD DVR only needs one?

2. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    New customers with HD/MRV are installed with a Single Wire Multiswitch(SWiM) setup. With eight tuners or less most likely a SWiM LNB. R15s are not compatible with SWiM. To get the R15 to work would cost more than coming across an R16 or R22 which are compatible.

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yep.

You have a couple options. You could stick up another dish (like a phase III) that you can snag almost every day for free on craigslist and use it just for that receiver. If you still have your old LNB with 4 outputs, you could get a SWM8 (used and cheap?) and connect your R15 to the legacy ports.

4. greatguru2k

greatguru2k New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks you guys, both very helpful... Looks like I'm heading back to ebay because the only other receiver I have is a D10 and it doesn't even see the satellite. What are some sd receivers that are compatitble with my new setup? Doesn't have to be a DVR, just something that gets picture and is pretty cheap?

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    R16, R22, D12, H/HR20 & above

6. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Remember the 20 series has to be firmware 2042 and up...

7. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Moreover, don't buy an H20. :lol: