1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying To Decide - Hopper Question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Thunderstruck, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Unfortunately I lost my job on January 1st. Now we are in the "save as much money as possible" mode. We can live without satellite, but this is really our only form on entertainment since we are homebodies.

Currently I have DirecTV. I have no issues with them other than my bill. When I called to see if they could offer me any solutions, they tried, but couldn't offer me much in monthly savings.

So I am now looking at moving over to Dish Network. Besides a monthly saving for the first year of $50 a month, I get get the Hopper/Joey set up.

I have done some research so I am not totally clueless, but one question I do have is:

Is the UI fast or is it sluggish like my DirecTV HR-24?

Also, is the switch as dramatic as I am thinking or is it pretty painless?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Faster then HR24.
    Not at all.

I'm doubt you'll save your money; wouldn't any OTA signals satisfy your habits ?

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I agree with Mr. Smith, if you are not working, I don't see why you would change providers. I would reduce the bill as much as possible and going to OTA only would totally eliminate it. You should be able to sign up once you are working again.

4. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    OTA, and Netflix if you want to be crazy! other than that hunker down who knows what will happen with our latest self inflicted wound we will be dealing with about paying our bills that we have allready spent. (raising debt ceiling)

5. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck New Member

Jan 13, 2013

As stated, I can save $50 a month by changing providers. I have checked into it.

My HR-24 takes about 3 seconds to change channels and 5 seconds to bring up guides, playlists, etc. I have rebooted it, reset it, and all but kicked it down the street and it remains slow as frozen oil.

6. crabtrp

crabtrp Legend

Sep 23, 2006
    I used to have a house full of HR-2* equipment, and it annoyed me how sluggish it was. I was a little dubious over hoppers and joeys, but I have found them very responsive and the whole home dvr experience very good on them. I am happier with dish overall over directv. I have a 2H 2J set up.

I hope you get back on your feet soon.

7. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Channel changes are probably similar. It's part of the digital compression technology. You can't flip through digital OTA channels as fast as you could through analogs, either. I-frames only come through every second or two.

Bringing up guides and playlists are very fast. It will depend somewhat on how much stuff you have recorded, and the huge hard drive in the Hopper allows you to have a lot of stuff. But even so, it's pretty snappy. Searching the DirecTV forums shows that DirecTV has not fixed their slow UI problems, which was part of the reason I left them in April (I had an HR22, a notorious dog compared to the HR24.) The switch was incredibly easy.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Limited/no income go with OTA close your satellite accounts. If unemployment has hit your credit report you may not pass DISH's credit check.

Do you really need to enter into a 2 yr contract for entertainment?

9. Yankee

Yankee New Member

Oct 23, 2011

The Hopper and joey system is pretty fast brings up the guide pretty much soon as you click the guide button. Also the guide is very fast it self.Hopper is not sluggish at all to me.Channel changing is very fast as well.

They switch is painless. You'll enjoy the Hopper/Joey System I had dish for 2 years now before that had DTV for 3 years i would never switch back i like Dish much better.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    What about to switch to FREE OTA TV ?

11. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    OTA TV is not free. There are some pretty hefty startup costs, depending on where you live, and assuming you want to use a DVR. You have to learn about and understand some antenna technologies. My current antenna setup, which is on the "easy" side of things cost just over $100, because I was able to do all the work myself. I called one antenna installer and they quoted me $1000 for a properly done system; I probably need to put another $200-$300 into mine for it to be done right.

And then you need to consider a DVR - there are not any affordable OTA-only DVRs out there these days. The Tivo Premiere is probably the closest thing, and it's about $145+$15/month. Or the Channel Master CM7400, which runs $400. For someone trying to reduce cost outlays in the short term (and I think we all can agree that we're hoping the unemployment situation will not last very long), that's a lot of money. Sure, in the long run, it could pay back the cost of Dish service, but with free installation and promotional discounts, it could cost his first year of service with AT120 with the Hopper to go with a truly equivalent "free" OTA option.

Now, if he lives somewhere with strong signals, and he's willing to give up DVR functionality, OTA could be quite workable. A decent indoor antenna is only $30 (I highly recommend the Leaf), and then there's no additional fees. But this is very dependent on where he lives.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't be so dramatically pedaling initial OTA cost.
    Seen at Fry's pretty good outdoor antennas in a range $50-$100 (using Terk T55 with internal amplifier for $100 ); add to that dual tuner Dtvpal DVR /CM-7000PAL for $200-300 at eBay. DIY would be reasonable investment too. :)

13. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    My outdoor antenna was $50. The preamplifier was another $40. I needed a 25' run of coax, which was another $10. Thus the $100 out of pocket. I was lucky enough to have the coaxial cable already run through the wall into an accessible place, with the grounding wire and block already in place. I zip tied the antenna contraption to a post holding up my deck, which meant I didn't have to buy a mast, roof sealant, or tripod.

A proper setup will include another 100' of coax to put the antenna on the roof, $100 for a good quality rotor, a 5' tripod and two lengths of mast.

But I was extremely lucky. My location is at a relatively high, unobstructed elevation and my local stations are all in the same general direction and only 30-35 miles away. At another location closer to the towers, but about 140' lower, I could get absolutely nothing at ground level. A roof-mount was a requirement. People down the street from me at that location, being lower and on the wrong side of a large hill, could get nothing without a 50' tower, which will run you a cool grand used.

You obviously know nothing about antennas if you think the Terk TV55 is a good antenna. That is an overpriced dog, with performance that barely beats rabbit ears.

I know whereof I speak when it comes to reception. It isn't always as easy as it should be. I would never tell someone they can get OTA reception until a proper evaluation of their particular location had been done. You can start at TVFool, which has a very good prediction tool that will tell you if you're even in the ballpark. But even that has its limits.

Even if we took your numbers and he could buy a $100 antenna and a $200 DVR off eBay (which, we hope, doesn't have a problem or undisclosed issue) and get all his local channels, it would take 8 months to break even compared to Dish's Top 120 promotional rate +DVR fee, which has a whole lot more channels and a much better guide.

14. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    He posts on everything as if he's a subject matter expert on everything and half the time it makes no sense or its completely inaccurate.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Let us stick with discussing things, not people.

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you!

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Guys, I live 150 miles from the nearest TV station. OTA is not possible.

18. Bradrlz

Bradrlz Cool Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I am debatingo stay with Dishor kove

19. saberfly

saberfly Legend

Apr 4, 2010
    What?

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    see his post in other thread about calling DIRT ...