1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to grasp something with whole room DVR..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jrodfoo, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 #1 of 11
    jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    My friend is trying to grasp the whole-room dvr setup and I'm just trying to make sure this is right....

if they have that service with three tvs, meaning two tvs would have HD receivers and one would have an hd dvr, i know the maximum programs you can record at once is two...but while you're doing that, can you also be watching live tv on any or all of the tvs?

I said you could watch live tv on all three while recording two , is that right?

Thanks in advance!

2. Nov 8, 2010 #2 of 11
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You can record two shows on the DVR and watch two live shows, one on each HD receiver.

While the HDDVR is recording you can also watch a recorded show or watch one of the two shows that are recording.

3. Nov 8, 2010 #3 of 11
    Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The two HD receivers can be watching live tv. The HD DVR would have to be watching one of the two channels that is being recorded (or something previously recorded)

4. Nov 8, 2010 #4 of 11
    jrodfoo

jrodfoo Godfather

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks guys! much appreciated

5. Nov 8, 2010 #5 of 11
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    And let's not forget that one of the HD receivers could watch a recorded show from the DVR.

Personally, I'd have two DVRs and one HD receiver.

6. Nov 9, 2010 #6 of 11
    kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    That's how I'm set up and it works very well for our needs.

7. Nov 9, 2010 #7 of 11
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Same here, 2 DVR + 1 HD receiver (in upstairs bedroom). Currently for WHDVR, having one non-DVR in the most used/convenient location is the best arrangement in that it lets you set up remote recordings, which does not work DVR to DVR (but it should!)

It used to be said that one might as well have all DVRs. I don't agree with that in the WHDVR world, at least not until we can schedule recordings on one DVR from another DVR.

One could still get all DVRs and use something like a smart phone or iPod Touch to set up the remote recordings, but the lack of presentation of a full Guide Screen is not as nice as what one gets from a non-DVR unit.

8. Nov 9, 2010 #8 of 11
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009

I just got my first non-dvr and for the most part I agree... Until you watch something live and want to replay because you didn't hear something and realize you are live.

9. Nov 9, 2010 #9 of 11
    hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I'd agree with you if DIRECTV would add a few GB of memory to allow a buffer to pause. I have no issue sacrificing remote scheduling to gain added tuners, recording space, and buffers. Also, if I am feeling extraordinarily lazy, I just use my BlackBerry to schedule recordings on the other DVRs. The lack of a full guide is not an issue as I am sitting right in front of a full guide in that scenario.

10. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    I know what you mean. I was watching election coverage on my H23 and was messing with my laptop at the same time. Something was said that I wanted to make sure I heard right so I hit the skip back button. Of course it gave me the "you can't do that, dummy" sound. Since then, when I've sat down to watch something, I've just gone ahead and recorded it while I watch so I can skip back, etc. Unfortunate that you have to remember to do that, but it does work.

11. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    I have 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers and realized I actually need 3 DVRs. Monday nights are killing me!!!