1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Tuner Dongle

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by ESA1178, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ESA1178

ESA1178 AllStar

Dec 3, 2011
    Looking to record Digital programs from OTA on my PC.
    Can anyone recommend a decent Tuner Dongle?

Mark

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  3. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    May not be what you wanted to hear... but I don't think there is one.
    At least not relative to the tuners in HDTV's.

I've tried to do the same thing over the years, and tried out the more popular brands, and have ended up returning them all.
    They have been both dongles, as well as PCI Express cards.
    I've installed them on a desktop and laptop.
    The pricier tuners have cost $300-$400, with dual HDMI outs, and have performed no better than the $49 models.
    The picture quality has been good, but the constant freezes/skips and audio drops, etc. have been a constant.

I don't know why a $400 card shouldn't be able to perform as well as the tuner in a $400 HDTV, but I haven't found any that do.

4. PrairieTech

PrairieTech New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    If you can use a network device, Silicon Dust HD Homerun is great. Mine is over four years old. Using Windows Media Center on desktop and laptops to record or watch live.