1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turn 921 off when not using?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by ntexasdude, Feb 11, 2005.

1. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Maybe this should be a poll question. I have seen several scattered comments about leaving the 921 on versus turining it off. Are there compelling reasons for either argument?

Some of the issues are fans running constantly and dirt and leaving the hard drive running. I never turn my PC off but use Windows power mangement to shut the off the monitor and hard disks when idle. Would this have more than do with saving power than wear and tear on the hard drive? I would think some of the same reasons you would or would not turn off your PC drives would apply to the 921 as well.

I just want to do the right thing to prolong my 921's longevity.

Would anybody like to comment on the issue?

Robert

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    The only compelling reason to "turn off" your 921 (really just putting it into standby, as the fans and hard drive always runs) is that the 921 will only auto-reboot each night if it's in standby. I usually put mine into standby when I head for bed.

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Hmmm interesting. I usually don't since the wife likes to fall asleep with the TV on. Maybe that is why I am having the issues I am having. It is not auto-rebooting every night.

4. madbrain

madbrain Legend

Dec 10, 2004
    Is it hardcoded to midnight by any chance ?
    If so, it would never happen for me, since I have timers recording at that time on most days, and I am most likely home using it anyway at that time.

5. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Supposedly the witching hour is 2:00AM if no timers are set to fire at that time.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    It is supposed to try multiple times during the night to miss any timers. I'm pretty sure it tries on the hour starting at either 1am or 2am.

7. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I guess then it's better to put it in standby so that it does do it's nightly reboot.

Does the motherboard have a battery that keeps the clock running like a PC?

8. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    How do you know if the auto re-boot occurred?

As for the hard drive, by putting the unit in standby you save it from constantly writing to the buffer. (Debate over always spinning vs repeated power-ups intentionally ignored.)

9. Oldcoot

Oldcoot AllStar

Dec 17, 2004
    I Never turn off either my PC or my 921 or my TV. All are on a UPS.
    My PC has been running 24/7 for 5 years. The only time it gets a reboot is after installing software.
    Before I upgraded to HD last year I had a JVC 27" that ran 24/7 for 8 years.
    My 921 gets a reboot about every 2 or 3 weeks when something stops working or stops responding.
    As for the 921 noise, either mine doesn't make as much noise as others or my hearing is getting bad.
    In my earlier days I was an engineer for a television station. We had automation equipment with hard drives as well as video monitors that had run 24/7 in excess of 11 years.
    With now over 35 years in the industry I am a firm believer in "always on".
    Thermal cycling has killed more of my equipment than MTBF.
    Of course this is just my opinion - I could be wrong !!

10. dawson5

dawson5 Cool Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Mark, is this a different kind of reboot than a power switch or a power cord reboot? I think is this is the one that restores my system in the middle of the night if I get a "lost lock".

11. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    It should be equivalent to the power switch ("soft") reboot.

As for how to tell if it happened, move your PiP window position away from the bottom right corner. If it returns to bottom right, the box rebooted. :)