1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn off "Press guide" notification?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by He Save Dave, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. He Save Dave

He Save Dave Legend

Jun 5, 2006
    Is there any way to turn off the "Press guide for all HD" notification thing? While browsing the program guide I keep having to wait for that notification to go away to see what time it is. It is getting annoying. Thanks guys.

2. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    I agree. I use that clock all the time.

-Funk

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    To answer the question. No there is not a way to do to disable it.

4. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    There needs to be!!!!! Dish are you listening???? This is one of the most annoying features that has ever been enabled..

5. mwsmith2

mwsmith2 Legend

Nov 15, 2004
    +1 from me. I use that clock quite a bit too, i've discovered as of late!

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Cool Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I agree, it may only be a small annoyance but every time I go to look at the time while I’m in the guide it’s not there.

7. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Add me to the list as well. At least give us an option to turn it off.

John

8. He Save Dave

He Save Dave Legend

Jun 5, 2006
    I'm glad I'm not alone lol. Every time I look and find something to watch I glance up to see what time it is and that dang guide info is there. :(

9. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    No kidding. It's annoying. Enabling/disabling would probably be way too complicated to the average consumer out there. But if Dish would make it so it only toggled once or twice and then stayed on the clock, that would make me a happy camper.

And also, make it show the actual name entered by the user (instead of 'Fav 1' or whatever the default is).

10. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Agree with everyone else above; this needs to be able to be disabled.

11. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    I didn't like it at first either, but I also know that if I wait a couple of seconds, the time comes back on.

12. evferguson

evferguson New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Count me as another "Yes" to make it configurable.

I recently switched to Dish after 4 years with Comcast. They continually added feature after feature like this that was intended to educate new users, which is an understandable goal.

The problem is that all these educational features slow down the system and frustrate experienced users. Ship new DVRs with all the "advice" messages turned on, but one of the hints should be on how to set the Expert mode that hides all the advice messages.

13. ClarkBar

ClarkBar Legend

Mar 5, 2006
    I posted this basic answer in another thread. Dish knows many of us are unhappy with the Press Guide popup. I was informed by a high-level technical source at E* that there will be a place in Preferences where this message can be toggled OFF completely - in a release possibly as early as mid-October. By then, my guess is that they might even decide to turn if off completely. Dish gets a lot of calls from people who can't read or follow instructions who find that they are in All HD or All SUB and wonder where their FAV lists went, for example. Well, there is now a Press Guide reminder in the Screen Saver, too. How many times must these folks be reminded?

You need not belabor this any further in this thread, unless you want to build up the count in case anybody in authority at Dish reads the thread. My source is Gold for software/firmware matters. If you want to vent, write a letter to Charile Ergen or Mark Jackson, or e-mail ceo@echostar.com and complain. Maybe the fix will come sooner. Even though it is not a major issue, it drives me nuts.

14. kckucera

kckucera Legend

Jul 31, 2005
    +1 for me, agree with the fix in preferences, for those who cant figure out which guide they are in, wont find the turn off switch in preferences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.