1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Turn-On Order

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnnytex, Aug 17, 2013.

1. johnnytex

johnnytex Legend DBSTalk Club

Jul 20, 2007
    Updating the receiver to a Onkyo TX NR616 to go along with my Panasonic TH-50PZ85U and DirecTV HR44-500.
    I was not having problem but just wondering about the proper tun-on orders for these devices.
    Thanks for any help and advice.

Tex

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The DTV remote should turn on the TV and the DTV receiver at the same time with the same On and Off button.
    We, my son and I , then turn our AVR on last and have not had any problems..

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I'd would say what ever you do, leave the HR44 ON all the time

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    They are all essentially independent of each other, so you can use whatever order. How you have HDMI connected may impact this, however, which means some TVs and AVRs don't play as nice as others when handling HDMI. If you have HDMI routed through the AVR you may get a second handshake it you turn that on last, which is usually not an issue. Or it may cause it to hang. I turn the AVR on last because DTV believes your DVR should be screaming the audio of the last channel it was tuned to at you when you turn it on or select it. I think there are a lot of better ways none of which involve unwanted audio, but DTV doesn't listen to me.

5. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    On the D* remote -Slide it to AV1 hit the big power button once- Slide it back to D* and press the little on Button - To power it off do the same order.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The remote that comes with the HR44 doesn't have a slider...(RC71 model)

7. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I don't know if your Panasonic TV supports this (your Onkyo receiver should, I almost bought that one!), but what I do on my Toshiba with my Denon AVR-1713 is I turn CEC-Control on in the TV and the AVR, and make sure the Volume setting on the TV is set to AV Receiver. So that way I only have my RC71 controlling my Toshiba TV, and when I hit "On" it sends the On command to the TV and HR44, the TV turns the AVR on, and then when I hit volume it sends the volume command to the TV which controls the AVR volume.

It's really nifty.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Thats exactly how I'm setup as well.....the directv remote turns on the tv and directv receiver, the tv turns the av receiver on and off