1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turner South question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by music_beans, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Why isn't turner south available to ALL Dish subscribers rather than the southern states? Shouldn't the rest of America watch Southern-type movies, and entertainment?

2. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    No, I can't. Florida IS a southern state after all.

3. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Turner's Channel used some local syndication rights and therefore can't be national (unless they blacked out some shows), there might be a National presenter of Syndicated "Andy Griffith Show" and a local presenter per DMA of syndicated "Andy Griffith Show" (I guess they show different seasons of just different episodes at a time). I guess Turner bought up lots of local syndication right across several southern states and therefore is legally showing those shows as long as they don't hit some states. So by limiting where the channel is available it avoids the "national status" and gets access to Local syndication offers. It you look at Georgia and South Carolina and Tenn, etc. there aren't that many DMAs to buy up the local syndication rights".

But if you look at Florida you have alot more DMAs and maybe the cost of florida makes it tooo expensive for "Turner's South" On Dish there are like 7 FL Locals, and MS/AL/GA/SC/NC/TN combined there are 8 total Locals, so that sounds like a big reason FL is excluded???

4. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thats because FL is not a Southern state ;) . Geographically they are, however people wise they are not, I lived their for 14 years and most people living their were from somewhere else, I am originally from WV, most people I knew who lived their were from NY, Ohio, MI, PR or Cuba ;) .

5. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    Uhh, is the cracker you mean "a person who breaks security" or something else?

6. wmayo

wmayo Mentor

Dec 1, 2002
    I guess Virginia isn't in the south either (we can't get it). There are a few confederates turning over in their graves around here.

7. Neil Griffin

Neil Griffin Cool Member

Jun 14, 2002
    My understanding is that Turner South was created for the purpose of carrying Braves games regionally, instead of allowing them on Fox Sports South. The difference, of course, is they decided to ceate a regional channel instead of an all-sports channel.

Honestly, I don't watch the baseball games, but do like some of the original programs, such as Live From the Bluebird Cafe.

8. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Turner South has determined their coverage area to mirror the coverage area of the Braves, Hawks, and Thrashers. It is almost like Fox Sports South.

Therefore, Turner South has determined which parts of the country they wish to serve, and neither DirecTV nor Dish Network can carry the channel into Florida.

9. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No I lived in Orlando, I miss FL :( . My wife and I might move back once my daughter starts collage in 4 years ( she starts 9th grade this year). If we move back we are thinking Tampa Bay area :) .

10. 31Media

31Media Mentor

Jul 22, 2003
    I live in a TN DMA (Nashville), and about 2.5 mi N of the KY/TN line.

No Turner South. for some reason, being in a TN DMA, and being so damn close to the line anyway, figured that I'd get Turner South.

No dice. The only regional channel I get is Fox Sports Cincinnati (I don't get Turner South, despite living about 5 mi from a place which, without argument does, and yet, I get FS Cin, despite being (quick math check) about 4.5 hours from there.

Dosen't really make that much sense. At least, not to me

11. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I have Direc Tv and I live in Northeast Mississippi. I receive Turner South. I also am in the Atlanta Braves Home Television Market for MLB Extra Innings. So I guess that's why I receive it. Every Braves Game I can see whether it is on Turner South, TBS, Or Fox Sports Net South. Usually only 1 Braves game a week is shown on Fox Sports Net South on Wedsnday nights. The rest of the time they are on TBS or Turner South. It's kind of a clone of TBS or TNT. They show movies some and lately if the Braves have a day game Turner South will reair the game that evening. There was one night I tuned in and was watching the Braves game and the Score at the top of the screen was the TBS Logo Not Turner Souths. It was a replay that night of that days Braves game.

12. DmitriA

DmitriA Legend

Aug 5, 2002
    Maybe they are trying to spare you. Not sure if y'all can handle "Southern-type entertainment" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.