1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning DirecTV on/off for NFL season?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PackFan, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 #1 of 18
    PackFan

PackFan AllStar

Jul 17, 2006
    OK - I love my DirecTV... But my only high-speed internet service available is Comcast - and I'm tired of fighting with them over the $60/mo price for internet-only service...

So - I'm thinking about suspending my DirecTV account except for when NFL season is on... and going with Comcast the other months of the year.

Anyone else do this? Pros/Cons?

Thanks.

2. Jun 3, 2011 #2 of 18
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I recently suspended my account at the end of the NHL CI package back in May. My plan is to reactivate in September and re-up with NFL ST. If the season is delayed, I will reactive in October, to re-up the NHL CI package. For now, I'm using an OTA DVR and basic cable, which gives me about 10 HD channels and 50 SD cable stations for free.

And I'm enjoying counting the savings. So far, just the prorated $59.97 credit for the month of May, but June 9th will be my first $89.68 in the bank. I also feel good knowing that I'm not contributing to the wealth of the DIRECTV upper mgt. I wonder if CEO Michael White stock options and incentives will be affected by my suspension? He may not hit the $33 million mark 2 years in a row because of this. :rolleyes:

3. Jun 3, 2011 #3 of 18
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even on basic cable, don't you contribute to that CEOs wealth?

4. Jun 3, 2011 #4 of 18
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Not when its free. Like people have mentioned, TW cable's support team is worse then DIRECTV's. ;)

And for the OP, if you do suspend and still have programs on your DVR that you want to watch, you need to do what I did. Disconnect the cable input, ethernet connection and phone line before you call to suspend. That way that can't lock you out of the DVR. I can still watch recordings today and I suspended in early May.

And suspending is easy, because you call and say suspend. Then the automated system walks you through setting up your suspension and reactivation dates. No interaction with a CSR that would probably try to convince you to keep your service active.

5. Jun 8, 2011 #5 of 18
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Just curious, did you take the plunge and suspend your service?

I'm actually surprised that there were no other posters to this thread. I know someone else that only turns on DIRECTV during the NFL season, then suspends for 6 months. Hes done that for several years and I'm sure there are plenty that do, but just like the person I mentioned, they don't post here.

I didn't mention any cons in my original post, but this is the biggest one. Not being able to receive channels (and/or HD channels) with Comcast that you liked to watch on DIRECTV. Other then that, I can't think of any others.

The benefit would be, saving money by having broadband/cable TV package with Comcast. Provided its cheaper then what you are paying now with your current setup, which I would assume by your original post.

6. Jun 8, 2011 #6 of 18
    PackFan

PackFan AllStar

Jul 17, 2006
    Still thinking about it...

7. Jun 8, 2011 #7 of 18
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    How do you get free cable?

8. Jun 8, 2011 #8 of 18
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    TWC keeps local HD unencrypted here in DFW when you sub to their internet service. A few other crappy channels also remain in the clear.

9. Jun 8, 2011 #9 of 18
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    That ain't free. It is included in the cost of the service.

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    OK, but included is still free to me.

I'm able to get about a dozen HD local channels, another set of locals that are digital, a few music stations and channels 2->99 in SD. The SD channels look better then DIRECTV's SD, although still painful. I travel most weeks, so my wife watches some of the SD channels, when not watching HD locals and it doesn't bother her.

When I stay at hotels, many of them have flat screens now and HD programming. Like the one I'm at right now, where I just watched the Mavs take a 3-2 lead over the Heat, Go Mav's! When home, I occasional watch Versus, HLN or CNBC in SD. I have an OTA DVR that I record from the local HD channels, which has most of the programs we watch.

(Forgot to celebrate, today's June 9th and its my first $90 monthly payment I get to keep. Add the prorated $60 credit for the month of May and I'm up to $150 saved. Actually using it to offset the $280 I paid for the OTA DVR, only $130 more and its paid for with DIRECTV savings. Should be more then fully paid for by the time I reactivate for either NFL ST or NHL CI)

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I think what he really meant by "that ain't free" is that you are paying for the internet feed on that cable coming in, probably between $40 and $80. Someone that doesnt use any other cable services(broadband, or VOIP) is not going to get those free locals because the cable feed into their house would be dead.

12. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Its still passive theft of services. Cableco's have line trap filters to block tv services. Sometimes installers forget to put them on the nid or in the returned dvr case they never get put on.

Technically, unless you pay for basic cable it's theft.

(For the record, I have Comcast internet and Voip and they never trapped my line. I've yet to use it)

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Legally, they have to offer the locals in the clear, so I don't think most consider it theft. If you werent paying for tv service and getting channels beyond your locals, then I would agree it's cable theft. But I don't think the in the clear locals fall under that category.

14. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Pretty much right.

15. PackFan

PackFan AllStar

Jul 17, 2006
    Should I call to have them turn off the Sunday Ticket auto-renew before I suspend?

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I didn't "turn off" NFL ST auto renew prior to suspending. Since you don't get any billing while your account is suspended, you won't have to worry about ST until you reactivate. I'm hoping to use NFL ST as a bargaining chip to reactivate when its time. I ask for the typical $120 ($20/mo for 6 mo's) discount for ST and if I get it, I reactivate.

17. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish New Member

Jun 15, 2011
    The DTV site says only 6 months every 12 months, but I've read elsewhere of people suspending for 9 months. Anyone have any luck suspending longer than 6? Mine is due to come back on at the end of July, and I wouldn't mind squeezing another month out of it to save a month's billing. I mostly use my Boxee Box and my 360 for TV/movies these days.

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Sometimes they will allow you to extend it a bit longer if you have a good reason. Home remodel, moving, etc. You have to call them up and ask to extend it. My guess is wanting to save a months billing is not going to be an acceptable excuse for extension.