1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Mail

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by zimm7778, Apr 28, 2011.

1. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Does Directv know what informative communication through the tv mail feature is? Today I got one regarding the movers program. I have received them for other frivolous information, and then for things of interest like free previews they sometimes come after they have begun. For years it felt like we got nothing from them, now they just don't know what's relevant and what isn't.

2. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I never look at them, I get all of my info here.

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Uh oh.

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    cable is loaded with messages like that.

5. mashandhogan

mashandhogan Legend

Dec 21, 2010
    I just use the -- method on them. I just CANNOT stand the little envelope staring me in the face!

6. rainydave

rainydave AllStar

May 28, 2006
    What is the -- method?

7. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    dash-dash is a quick delete method

8. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    They are all useless garbage. I also just -- them all. A waste of time and money for D* to pay for someone to write them and send them out. Save some money and fire the idoit.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think that's strong. One, I doubt that writing TV Mail is a full time job. Two, if it is part of someone's job, they are hardly an idiot for doing it. I have what I consider dumb parts of my job, but I don't consider myself an idiot for doing them. But they are only a part of it.

Also, I think it might be useful for some people. I think of myself, if I wasn't on here, I probably wouldn't know about various offers, free previews etc. I autopay, just check my bill to make sure the charges are correct.

Even with this site, I don't always see things about HBO previews and such, I'm busy with other threads.

10. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    IMO- TV MAIL has the potential of becoming a worthy method a communicating info to the viewership, but they really need to make sure that the info is timely and important enough to communicate. If you begin getting tons of these a day they end up losing their importance and becoming a bother.:nono2:

11. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    I can't get that to work unless I open the mail; no bulk mail erase. Otherwise it displays 'receiver info'. Very annoying.

12. dlt4

dlt4 Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Florida
    AFAIK you have to actually open the envelope and do -- for each message. At least it saves the hassle of opening each one to delete it.

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    How about DirecTV using some targeted TV mail.

I'm not planning to move and I never intend to subscribe to Game Lounge. However I do like to find out about free previews.

There was virtually no TV mail four years ago and now there's too much of it.

14. nowandthen

nowandthen Godfather

Nov 18, 2005
    Too much TV Mail! I am sick of deleting it! It's much more obnoxious now that they have the banner that shows up every time you change the channel. I like the banner, I don't like the highlighted email tab. It's all junk as far as I'm concerned. I pay nearly $100 a month, please stop subjecting me to your advertising or make it less intrusive (i.e. don't highlight TV Mail). Put a mark by the tab but stop highlighting it. I have to enter the tab to delete it in order to make it go away.This is annoying! (Gets off soap box).

15. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    TVmail! Wonk wonk wonk!

:D

16. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I given up. Like the OP stated, DirecTV doesn't have a clue.

17. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I suppose it's all in the viewers eyes. I have 7 receivers with 5 household members. I am the only person who actually opens them and deletes them. My wife and kids don't even notice they exist. I wonder if there are households out there now who are nearing the mailbox limit because they never delete or view messages.

18. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    I wish there was a way to get it so that the damned tvmail icon wasnt auto highligted on channel changes, rather than the usual info. Its a waste of my time to go in and just -- them all.

19. TomK

TomK Godfather

Oct 18, 2010
    I just want to be able to turn off or possibly add the items that appear on the info bar. The TV Mail icon would be the first to go.

20. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I rarely view the messages, and I never delete them. They auto delete after a period of time.