1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

TV Networks Clean House, Cancel Several Shows in Advance of Fall Presentations

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Athlon646464, May 10, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    TV Networks Clean House, Cancel Several Shows in Advance of Fall Presentations

[​IMG]

The axe has fallen, or will fall on the following shows:

Fox: Rake, Dads, Enlisted, Surviving Jack, Almost Human, The X Factor, Raising Hope

NBC: Community, Revolution, Believe, Crisis, Growing Up Fisher, Ironside, Welcome to the Family, The Michael J. Fox Show, Sean Saves the World

NBC Discussion Thread Here

ABC: Trophy Wife, Super Fun Night, Mixology, Once Upon A Time in Wonderland, Suburgatory, The Neighbors

The CW: The Carrie Diaries, The Tomorrow People, Star-Crossed

Full Story Here

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Weird that The 100 on CW made it, but The Tomorrow People didn't. Daughter and I watched Tomorrow People, Star Crossed and The 100. We liked Tomorrow People the best.

I liked Almost Human on Fox. That's the only one I watched that was cancelled.

I liked Crisis on NBC.

Did Resurrection make it? And The Mentalist?

Are CBS shows posted yet?

Thanks for this!

3. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    At least for The Tomorrow People, just pretend you didn't watch the last 10 minutes which were stupid anyway and then the show had a nice (happy) ending with pretty much all plot points resolved.

4. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Very true! They just need to come up with some good shows for me to watch with a 9 year old. Now all we have left are Marvel, The Middle and The 100, which I don't like and if it gets more violent, I will be banning from her viewing anyway. As it is, I have to have her close her eyes quite a bit in that show!

5. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    yes for both the mentalist and resurection!

6. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Thanks Iceturkee!!

7. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    10 shows we watched, are cancelled already. That's an unusually high number for our shows.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using DBSTalk mobile app

8. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    sad that the tomorrow people didnt make it. i didnt like it in the beginning but the more i watched i got hooked. im trying to give the 100 a chance. ive watched all the shows so far but its lacking something. im glad the cw kept arrow, which is my fav show so far. im also glad agents of shield got another season. shield got better as the season progressed. i am looking forward to gotham and the flash this fall. im still sad smallville ended, but i got reruns on tnt :hurah:

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While I expected CBS to not pick up "Intelligence", "Hostages" and "Crazy Ones", I guess I have to stop recording "Bad Teacher" and "Friends with Better Lives". But I'm glad they picked up "The Mentalist" though I already figured they were just negotiating with Warner Bros.

As far as comedies go "Surviving Jack" on Fox was good. And though only five other people watched it "The Neighbors" on ABC was clever and funny. I'm assuming that except for Chuck Lorre shows, finding a funny new sitcom that will last more than a season will be a thing of the past.

10. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Very glad to see The Mentalist picked up. And I was one of the 5 others watching The Neighbors.

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    We liked Rake and Almost Human. Oh well.

12. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    Like a few others here, Almost Human is the only show from this list that I watched. I thought the show was weak in a lot of ways, plots, Sci Fi aspects (or lack thereof), etc, but I liked the lead actors a lot and thought it all added up to some good, lighthearted fun. Too bad...

13. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    SYFI should pick up Almost Human... and dump the ghost and paint your face junk.

14. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Me too. Long live Patrick Jane.

As for The Neighbors, me three (I wonder who the other two are?). A sitcom like that is a great plaform for social satire. Don't tell the B... also fit into that category. That is also why I am sad about losing Suburgatory, not to mention that Jane Levy might be absolutely the cutest person on earth. With that adorable overbite and her flame-red hair sticking out every which way, it just makes you want to hug her.

What is comforting about the death of great shows, is that in TV, there is reincarnation, and I'm not talking about Resurrection, although a lot of fine actors we are all fond of were reincarnated into that one. Great actors, or actors you like, or writers, directors, etc., always seem to surface in something else creative eventually.

24 went away, but we got Homeland from the same bunch. Chris Meloni is no longer Elliot on SUV, but soon after was hitting it out of the park on Surviving Jack. James Duff's The D.A. was stillborn at 4 eps, but he brushed the dust off and gave us 100 eps, give or take, of The Closer and Major Crimes. James Spader was brilliant in Boston Legal, but that ended, and now he is even more brilliant on The Blacklist. The cream seems to keep rising to the top.

15. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    well...that explains the weird ending to Tomorrow People. I thought it might have meant it was canceled.

I liked Almost Human as well. It was just kind of a stupid, fun show if that makes sense.

I was never a fan of Believe. Just didn't like the characters at all.

16. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    If you count "One Upon yet Another Copy of Wonderland" :) I have seven series records to remove. I had given up on the Wonderland (It worked so well for the other fairy tales copycat) and let it accumulate on disk but eventually deleted the content but not the link. I've yet to watch the Once Upon A Time series itself yet this year and it is copied across 2 DVRs. It was interesting but more a miniseries sort of thing than a full blown series. It has gone from a nice twist on childhood nostalgia into a soap operatic nightmare from my view it could go and I would not miss it.

Axing Almost Human, and surprisingly Rake gall me the most though I confess the Tomorrow People was great entertainment as background while I was in the workout room. Though I still have dutifully watched Revolution it lost its appeal to me after the character played by David Meunier was killed off (he's my wife's cousin and arely lasts more than a single episode in any series he's been in (Justified not counted there)).

I look at the bright side this is 5.25 hours a week I'm getting back for better pursuits anyhow (computing 45 minutes per show using FF to fix the commercial issues) ;)

Don "last night's Person of Interest sure felt like a series finale to me yet supposedly it was renewed just a short time ago" Bolton