1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV on Demand

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tcatdbs, Nov 2, 2010.

1. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    I was browsing the "TV on Demand" menus, surprised to see all the available content (haven't bothered looking in several months). I decided to download a few shows (Mad Men). I started watching one, looked great for a few minutes then waited to buffer, then started, then waited.... not a great experience.

Then I went back to normal TV, and started having many weird problems. The info banner at top (channel and desc) would not go away. Many buttons were not functional. I could change the channel by pressing number buttons (not the up/down buttons), but the same info banner would stay on top (showing wrong channel). I turned off power to the 722, and the same banner remained on the TV screen (very strange!). I unplugged and rebooted, was OK for about a minute, then same thing. After 3 reboots, it seems back to normal. That's the last time I'll try out the video on demand feature!

My guess is the download was interfering with normal HD operation. Why can't Dish get streaming right, Netflix seems to do it MUCH better.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Hmmm. A while back I did the "Caprica" pilot on my 722 and it worked fine. But now we're two firmware/software releases later with the goofy, unnecessary screen changes. Hope someone else can report on a current experience.

3. njk986

njk986 Cool Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Have had no problems with it. How's your internet speed?

4. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    4-5m down, 400-500 up (AT&T Pro), Netflix over Wifi never a problem. I think I may have started to watch before it was finished uploading; sometimes I get the "your show is ready to watch" banner, sometimes I don't. I did watch a short one today that I selected yesterday, with no problem. I guess the secret, is don't rush it.