1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV on the fritz

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by bills976, Feb 28, 2003.

1. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Hi all...

I currently have a JVC AV-27BP6, a 27" SD TV that's about 6 years old. The TV worked fine on the one side of the room plugged into one circuit breaker. The wife then wanted the TV on the other side of the room, so I had to plug the TV into another outlet which was connected to a different circuit. Since then, I've been exeperiencing horizontal white lines near the bottom of the tube. Occasionally the white lines turn to black ones and group together. They move around the bottom of the screen for a few seconds, then leave for a few minutes, then come back. Now I thought the problem was the fact that there could be interference on the line so I plugged the TV back in the old outlet and I'm still getting the same problem. I know it has to be the TV because I've had the problems on my 501 (S-Video, soon to be a T-60) as well as my VCR (RCA Jacks). And no, I don't have a DVD player, but just getting my first one in the mail on Monday, yay!.

So I was wondering if anyone else ever experienced these kinds of problems. If I can't fix them, then I'll need a few suggesstions on what are some good choices in terms of 27" TVs. I'm not looking to spend more than $500.

I know you guys are knowledgeable people and so hopefully it won't come to having to buy a new TV (My other two TVs are old Sonys from 1988 and 1984). Thanks for your replies.

2. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If you need a new tv, I'd recommend a Toshiba flat-screen. The one I bought is this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11101564&m=1&cat=24&scat=0

It has many inputs including S-video, component video and two sets of composite jacks. It also has stable sound control leveling the volume of programs and commercials.

I find the picture on this tv to be superb, and I definitely recommend the flat-screen, even if it costs a little more. It is worth it.

3. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    Thanks, Karl. I was browsing Consumer Reports and the Toshiba was the highest rated model. If it does turn out that I can't do something about my TV, I think it'll come down to a 27" Toshiba flat screen or 27" Sony Wega. Is the Sony's PQ really worth the bigger price tag, or are you just paying for the name?

4. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I believe that you are paying for the name. If you go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, you can see both side by side and decide for yourself. I personally liked the Toshiba better, and with the lower price, I felt I couldn't go wrong.

On the other hand, our local Costco has a Philips 27" flat-screen for $349 right now. It seems like a good unit as well.