1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV on Top of HD DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by airian9, Nov 18, 2010.

1. airian9

airian9 New Member

May 2, 2008
    Does anyone put their TV on top of their Directv receiver? I'm planning to get a 37" LCD TV (weighs 24lbs) and I'd like to put the tv of my HD DVR (HR21-100). Can the receiver support this weight?

2. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    It would probably hold it, though putting a board on top to span from one side to the other (rather than putting load on the middle and bending it down some) would help. However, I would be much more afraid of it making the TV unstable.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, I think I'd recommend against doing that.

4. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    I had my 32" on top off mine for over a year without any issues, I did have a board to distribute the weight, as suggested. I have since moved it fearing heat problems.

5. airian9

airian9 New Member

May 2, 2008
    Thanks. I'll look into getting a small shelf to put there. I guess the other option is to put the receiver on it's side, but that doesn't look that appealing to me.

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If you are going to use a board/shelf, I would suggest using something on each side of the receiver to support it, leaving enough room on top and beside the receiver for proper cooling.

7. airian9

airian9 New Member

May 2, 2008
    I found something on amazon. Only $30 and it will support up to 40 lbs

8. gteach26

gteach26 Mentor

May 15, 2007
    $9 wooden stackable shoe rack at Target does the trick for me in my den. Provides plenty of room for two components.. Blueray player on bottom, shelf, Directv receiver, shelf... And a 37 inch lcd on top. Plenty of ventillation, and holding strong for over two years. Available in black and many other wood tones... Any big box store should carry something similar. Looks GREAT and feels super sturdy...Just don't tell anyone it was intended as a shoe rack. :)

I wouldn't put the tv directly on the box... Stability, heat buildup...etc....

Good luck!

9. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    As I recall, it's available in either 24" or 36" width. I use the 24'" black version for a 22" TV, receiver, and DVD player in our guest room and it's perfect. Since the equipment is black everything blends well.

10. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    mark and teach got lost in something the OP wasn't talking about.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You obviously have doubts. Go with your gut.

Rich

12. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    It would be a very poor decision to put a 24 pound TV on top of an HD DVR.

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I'm still surprised at the rigidity of thought that often accompanies people's ideas of how to do things. The very idea of putting anything on top of an HD-DVR that would impede heat transfer, much less deform the case is ...well...silly.

How 'bout some creativity? There are many ways to do things, and most of them don't involve setting something large on top of the DVR.

I understand when the limiting factor is an expensive enclosure like a piece of furniture, but in all other cases, examine alternatives. Where there is a will, there is a way.

My advice to first time buyers: don't let your proposed purchase dictate the size of TV you can buy. I see it all the time. People have to buy a 32" HDTV to fit their "investment" in a piece of furniture. They have an HDTV, they have to sit 15 feet away, so they watch a postage stamp. They won't even consider moving their viewing furniture forward (chairs, couches), as it "wouldn't look right".

I guess it's beside the point that the HDTV won't "look right" either. Go figure.

Discussions like these make my teeth hurt.:)

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    God no! Put it on a sturdy table! The DVR case might crack.....

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not the worst thing I've read on the forum, but bad enough to make me shudder. I like the shoe thing. That's a good idea.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Me too. And yet, go into houses and see what people do. I went into a doctor's house once to do some side work and his gas stove top burners wouldn't work off the pilot light. Pulled the burner assembly out and it was full of cooked rice. Cleaned it out and it worked perfectly. Then I did some work in a family room where they had a charcoal grill going, cooking supper. No windows open. Yelled at me when I opened a few. Had to explain to the good doctor what could happen in a closed room when cooking with charcoal. That's just two examples of what I did in that house. Hard to believe a doctor of medicine could be that stupid.

Rich

17. Surveyor40

Surveyor40 DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Back in 08, I put a 26" LCD LG on top of a HR21-100. Over the summer I wall mounted the LG and I noticed a small dent in the middle of the DVR case from the set's stand. Not sure what D* recommends, but I'm gonna say over time the DVR top will probably not support the weight of the 32" TV.

18. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    The simple answer is NO! Go ahead and try it but you won't like the results. D* probably won't be very helpful when it comes to replacing the crushed hd-dvr and I doubt your homeowners policy will cover the damage to/from the 37-inch tv when it falls. If it takes two people to lift a 37" or larger tv onto a tv stand what makes you think an hd-dvr that's meant to sit on a shelf all by itself would even support it's weight?

19. dtremain

dtremain AllStar

Mar 3, 2004
    Next question?:D