1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Prices

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Dave, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Has anyone noticed lately how drastic the price drop is getting to be for TV's.
    If you shop around enough you can find 42" Plasmas for less than $ 1500.
    You can find LCD's for under $ 1500 also, and rear projections 50" for less than $ 1000. The time to buy is hear now. If you know someone looking to save big on a new Wide screen TV, now is the time for them to get out the old computer and start looking. Even though they may be some brand name you haven't heard of, remember the the same company, Toshiba I believe is making the majority of the tubes for just about everybody. So get out there and get that large screen that you thought was to expensive to buy. The prices are dropping like a rock.
    If need be they can go to www.pricegrabber.com to start looking.

2. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm not buying any TV over $669.99. Sorry HD won't be the norm for 7 to 9 years.

3. Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You think they are low now, wait till November.

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My limit is a kilobuck. Once they hit about $1000 I will start looking.

See ya
    Tony

5. Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    It is all going to depend on what type of display and size you are looking for. I think a 42 inch LCD-RP are getting close, or will be.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    That's my TV, and I couldn't be happier. Total came to $2,077 with tax and 2 year extended service plan from Circuit City after getting them to price match a local retailer. My only regret is that I didn't get the 50" model. Most of the bells and whistles the TV offers I have no need for and could careless about, I would have gladly paid the same for a 50” model without that crap. Cable Card Slot, HD Tuner, TruSurroundXT Audio don't need any of that.

I was tired of sitting on the sidelines. HD is here, HD is now and the future. 99% of my hardcore TV viewing is done on the 15 HD channels.

7. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I saw a 32" LCD Polaroid HDTV for just under $900 at Wal Mart the other day.

8. silverback

silverback Cool Member

May 3, 2005
    Everybody seems to have the sony 34" HD CRT for $1099 nowadays, I think that's the way to go at the moment.

9. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Not unless you have it delivered, or have a few friends you can call at anytime and plan not to ever move it once you have it where you want it. I owned the higher end $1600 or $1700 version from the Wega XBR line for exactly 3 days. Then the beast went back to Best Buy as it was too heavy to do anything with.

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I want a LCD but not from Wal-Mart. Yesterday a friend ordered a Panasonic 50" rear projection set from CC & has Comcast & just pays $14.95 for basic. She'll be shocked by her new bill, as she wants Internet also.

Maybe in two yeats I'll join you guys, hopefully! I'm on Social Security.

11. james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed. and besides, I've always been happy watching shows on my now 3 years old 27" SD screen. It'd be quite nice to step up to something bigger and better, but I'm not one to buy a new TV unless the existing one dies, and by then the deals should be really good.

12. Opynion

Opynion Godfather

Mar 21, 2006
    Maybe some day there will be Tv's with Satellite card slots.

13. Opynion

Opynion Godfather

Mar 21, 2006
    And if it dies after 12 years, you'll be stuck with low quality, while the rest will be enjoying HD ;)
    I have a 36'inch old square screen and I can't wait to buy a new one with HD ready. :rolleyes:

14. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
  15. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Ditto. I want my next set to have a tuner for OTA HD, and I want the set to cost less than $500. And I know I'm going to have to wait a while. :)

16. springdale_sam

springdale_sam Mentor

Jan 13, 2006
    My father in law has that HD stuff and it is pretty cool but I am going to be waiting for a long time when recievers dont cost an arm and a leg and they dont have all the problems with them.

17. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Buying a HD Ready TV is like buying a DVD VCR combo drive but the DVD Drive is sepearte. Big ripoff. Like HDTV or what I call it HETV (Highly Expensive Television). Most TV's cost $1000's of dollars and the only people that can afford them are the people who have the money. 2009 I guarenteed will be pushed back and if it is not then most people will be using converter boxes because they can't afford these overpriced TV's.

18. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    That's why you take advantage of no interest financing retailers offer. I pay $100 a month towards my TV for 20 months, I could even pay less if I wanted to as I have 24 months, or if I would have got it at Best Buy, 36 months. That's just under $58 bucks a months. HDTV sets have never been moor affordable then they are now.

Standard definition is VHS, dial up, 486. High definition is DVD, broadband, Dual Core Pentium. No point living in the past when there's great technology like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.