1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tv Tuner Card

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Bengal1, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Bengal1

Bengal1 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2007
    What inexpensive Tv Tuner Card would you recommend to connect DTV box to home computer?

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    for SD? hauppage WinTV

3. Bengal1

Bengal1 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2007
    I called Hauppage about the HVR-850 and he said it wouldn`t work with DTV, it would only work with cable?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    There are a number of different models. I have the HVR-2250, which is a PCI-express x1 card. It is a hybrid card with 2 analog (NTSC) tuners, and 2 OTA (ATSC) or cable (ClearQAM) tuners. It also has two sets of line inputs, which are part of the analog section. You can run two analog and two digital inputs, of the same type, at the same time.

I currently use a DirecTV standard-def receiver on one of the analog line inputs, and use the two ATSC tuners for digital OTA.

You can also get the single-tuner versions: the HVR-1600 (PCI) and 1800 (PCIe). Each of these will do one analog and one digital.

If you want even easier and more basic, you can get a USB ATSC tuner. No analog in these, but some models do support QAM as well as ATSC.

5. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    that is a lie I own the hvr 950 wich is similar but I can watch DIrectv on my laptop with it just by using the coxial cable.

the hvr 1600 1800 2250 have hardware encodes. the 850 and 950 do not.

6. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I wanted an inexpensive tuner card as well, and I found one on eBay a couple years ago. I only paid about $20 for it new, as it was a generic card simply called "Easy TV Capture". Even though its generic and on the low end, it works really well as it's based on the Brooktree BT878 chipset.

You can find some on eBay.