1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV2 Noob help

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by drfever10, Mar 29, 2011.

1. drfever10

drfever10 New Member

May 17, 2010
    I'm helping a Dish buddy move some TVs.

TV2 used to be to a tube television. We are trying to hook up an older LCD but it does NOT have a coaxial input.

We have tried RF modulator, Red & White for audio and Yellow to the Green on the composite side.

We have also tried a External ATSC/QAM TVBox, no picture or sound.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Green on a LCD is Component, and wont work. You need Yellow or SVideo inputs on the LCD from your modulator. If you have an old VCR and TV2 is sent using RF, hook the TV2 cable to it, and tune the VCR to channel 3, and use the yellow/RED/WHITE to the LCD.

3. drfever10

drfever10 New Member

May 17, 2010
    Green was a bby suggestion. No yellow or S video

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If its a computer monitor, it wont work period without a special adapter. Any other "old LCD" would have a tuner in it as far as I know.

5. drfever10

drfever10 New Member

May 17, 2010
    It is HD Ready w/o tuner. That is the reason for the External ATSC/QAM TVBox, but still no luck.

Any suggestions on 'special adapter'?

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What brand/model is it? ATSC/QAM tuner wont work. Needs to be NTSC.

7. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    I've never seen an RF modulator take a RF input and output composite, they usually work the other way. The best option is a VCR like Davenlr suggested - only put it on Ch 60 (or whatever ch the old tube was set to) not ch 3.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Modulators create RF signals ... tuners demodulate them into feeds for the TV. You need a NTSC tuner (old analog TV type tuner) or something to extend the composite TV2 outputs (not component) to the second set.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yea. I didnt know what channel number the "ch 2" uses, so I defaulted to 3 :)
    I think he meant "demodulator", at least from what it sounded like what he was trying to do. Without a make/model for the tv he is trying to use, its hard to tell if it even HAS composite inputs. Sounds like a real early hybrid.

10. drfever10

drfever10 New Member

May 17, 2010
    TV has composite (RGB) and red & white only. Will have model # shortly.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    RGB is COMPONENT, composite is Yellow only. It wont work. The only device I am aware of that allows tuning a NTSC RF signal, and outputting RGB COMPONENT, is a Polaroid DVD Recorder DRM2001

12. drfever10

drfever10 New Member

May 17, 2010
    Sorry....this has me totally baffled. RGB W red & white

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Analog Component RGB uses a separate cable, one each, for RED, Blue, Green with the sync on Green.

Analog Composite (what all VCRs have, and most demodulators) have one YELLOW cable which contains all three colors and the video sync.

The two are totally incompatable. In order to receive channel (x) from your coax, and input it into the TV, you will need either a NTSC tuner with component output (which most all early ATSC stand alone tuners had), or another device to convert the RGB to Y (which I havent found cheaply).
    Example: http://www.converters.tv/products/ntsc_to_rgb/444.html

14. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    On some devices, there is a menu setting that allows composite to be input via one of the component ports. Usually you'll see it clearly labeled as to which port may be used for composite and it normally takes both the connection to right port and the right setting to make it work.

By the way, you've looked all over for connectors - right? Sometimes LCDs have connectors in 2 or 3 places - sometimes on the side - sometimes some are covered by a plastic panel.

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    drfever - a MANUFACTUERER and MODEL NUMBER will help us more than anything you've said so far...