1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tvu

Discussion in 'Sky Angel (Closed Forum)' started by tsrk30, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsrk30

tsrk30 Mentor

Jan 8, 2005
    I love TVU, but I wish they did not repeat videos so much. I am curious what others think. They have been on the air a few years and should have plenty of videos to add to the play list to keep it fresh. Any thoughts?

2. BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8 Cool Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I love TVU and I would appreciate more variety as well. The problem is the market. I volunteer for a Christian Coffee House where we have live metal and hardcore music. On their merch tables, the bands have plenty of CDs, t-shirts, buttons, stickers... no videos, ever. When I ask I get the same answer. Their labels or distributors tell them there isn't much of a market for metal/hardcore music on video. Even the more well-known bands - Demon Hunter, Thousand Foot Krutch, mewithoutyou - aren't encouraged to produce much video. Until Christian hard music gains more of an audience (and thus market) the playlist will continue to be limited. :(

3. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    TVU is what MTV used to be in the 80's. Entertaining VJ's and good music.

I wrote Sky Angel over a year ago telling them how much I appreciate the channel.

4. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    Your right, the reason there is the repeats is because they just lack videos, budgets for most Christian rock bands are very little, thus they do not have the money to spend on producing a video so typically you dont see many videos, until a band has "made it far"

5. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    Christian Rock is a genre of music where lack of talent will not hurt you.

6. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002

I disagree.. A lot of Christian Rock bands are more talented than some of their mainstream counterparts.

7. docquesting

docquesting Cool Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Thats maybe becuase they got some extra support from somewhere.

8. BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8 Cool Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I couldn't disagree more strongly. In the early days of Jesus music newly saved youth were starving for music that spoke to them them in their new faith. Christian artists who shared their culture and lifestyle were few and thus anyone who could strum a melody and carry a tune could sell a record. The market was wide open and fertile ground for mediocrity. For that reason, to this day, Christian bands are not taken seriously simply because they are Christian. Their faith becomes a ball and chain in the music industry. Many Christian bands refuse to wear the label and allow their music to speak for them. A serious Christian band must be twice as talented, put on twice the performance, tour twice as often for twice as long. All that, to see half the success and financial gain as the mediocre secular band.

The only sub-genre where I see anything close to equality is heavy metal/hardcore. Bands such as Mortification, Extol, and Tourniquet have huge fan bases of Christian and non-Christians alike. The amazingly talented Mortification is seen as the most extreme Christian band in existence and is copied by Christian and non-Christian groups.

No, there is no shortage of talent. What is lacking is support from record companies who churn out endless streams of homogenized "whatever sold good last." Remember when every band recorded a worship CD? I don't know what will be hot on the Christian music steam table this time next year but I guarantee every band signed to a commercial label will be pressured (or contractually bound) to repeat "what they did."
    God bless you!
    Cindy

9. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    While the artists in question are now more numerous because there is more money involved, the level of talent has not increased.

Oh whine, whine, whine. Christians are not discriminated against for their religion. The record companies look for $$$ any where it can find it. Talent produces money for the record companies, so the record companies are always looking for new talent. 12-15 years ago country music was seen as music for hicks and old people, now it is considered popular music. It seems you can't turn your radio's tunning dial trough 1MHz without finding two or more country stations. Why has this change occurred over the last decade? Because the record companies found talented artists who could reach new markets, and that results in more $$$.

I've never heard of any of those music groups. I doubt many people I know have.

Then why don't I hear any Christian music on coledge radio stations, Top 20 stations, or on most of the Sirius Radio stations.

While I do agree that the record companies are to a certain extent stuck in re-run mode, and have been for about 5 years or so, talent gets you to the top and keeps you there. Latin, country, and rap music have become mainstays of popular music because talented musicians built those genres with their talent.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Most Christian artists are more concerned with the expression than the money. For every singer or group that "makes it" far enough to get paid, thousands have to find "a real job" (which isn't different than non-Christian artists).

The unfortunate side of Christian Rock is that the main line rock record producers are have plenty of noisemaker groups. Christian groups are "like that - but clean" and rock isn't a genre that is getting cleaner. So they need to rely on the limited number of producers who do care about clean - or create their own production companies.

The biggest Christian production companies are doing well with the more mainstream sounds ... there is no reason for them to leave AC/Inspo/Gospel for a "like that - but with incoherent lyrics buried in noise" (comparatively speaking) sound. So we are down to niche companies and self producing albums.

Yes, there is discrimination. In this case being Christians descriminating against musicians because of their music. But the mainline producers are not looking for clean Christ affirming rock --- they would rather have something just shy of getting the explicit lyrics label - or over that line.

Time in a studio costs money ... music videos cost money. It is good to see that TVU can be a showcase for the few that make it to production and turn out good enough to watch. Perhaps as interest grows over the next 10-20 years quality will follow. It has taken a while for Christian AC and Inspo to get to the professional level of secular music. But it will come as long as the next young band strives to do what they can to fullfill the mission they feel led to follow. And then the band after that does better.

11. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Fitty Cal....just curious, how old are you and what geographic region did you grow up in?

12. BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8 Cool Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Fifty, c'mon man, turn on your radio. Even the CCM station I try to avoid features more talent than I can possibly list. Are you going to tell me Mac Powell, Third Day, and Toby Mac have no talent? Jennifer Knapp, Superchic[k] and Barlow Girl should find day jobs waiting tables? Matthew West, MercyMe and Kutless are a waste of radio waves?

Read my post again, Fifty. I said, "In the early days of Jesus music, anyone who could strum a melody and carry a tune could sell a record. The market was wide open and fertile ground for mediocrity. For that reason, to this day, Christian bands are not taken seriously simply because they are Christian."

Do you listen to coledge (sic) radio stations?
    As for the Top 20 stations, you're not a Billboard Magazine reader, are you? If so you might have caught the October 25, 2003 edition which carried an in depth article on the rising popularity of Christian music at mainstream radio stations. Among the crossover artists covered were Steven Curtis Chapman, MercyMe, Stacie Orrico, Natalie Grant, Relient K, Michael W. Smith, Kathy Troccoli, Jars of Clay, Sixpence None the Richer, Pillar, Switchfoot and P.O.D. No talent there?

5 years? The Monkees were manufactured Beatles wannabe's 35 years ago and record companies have been stuck in repeat groove for at least as long. And if talent is what gets you to the top and keeps you there, where is Phil Keaggy?
    Just my 2 cents. Do with it as you wish.
    Cindy

13. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    If you want more variety for the shop, and if the audio, and not the actual video is the focal point/drawing card, you may consider adding the Dish Sirius channels, they have 1 or 2 contemporary Christian channels that have a really wide variety , it isnt metal, it isnt videos, but if you get tierd of the same rotation, it may be an option.

Also, look at the secular world, Music Video seems to be a dieing art, MTV and VH1 show about 1 hour/day of music videos, if MTV cant fill one channel with "secular" music videos, there is no chance that a niech market like Christian Metal ever soon will.

14. BusyMommyof8

BusyMommyof8 Cool Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I wasn't aware that the secular video channels had the same problem. I sure appreciate your suggestion of Sirius radio. Thankfully Sky Angel also carries several CCM radio stations as well as our favorite hard music station, Radio U, the older brother of TVU and has much more variety.
    Kind regards,
    Cindy

15. mattb

mattb Legend

Apr 29, 2002
    Btw,

Just food for thought, Christian Rock Bands that have made mainstream radio airplay.

Switchfoot, Relient K, Flyleaf, Pillar, POD, Project 86, Anberlin all have had mainstream radio airplay in various genres.

--Matt

16. Fifty Caliber

Jan 4, 2006
    I've never heard of any of those bands.

17. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    They all get play on Modern Rock/Alternative stations.

18. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    College radio was the only place you could hear CCM back in the 80's! I know because a was a jock on WUJC-FM 88.7 back in the days of Mylon LaFevre and Broken Heart, Charlie Peacock, Steve Taylor, Daniel Amos/DA/Swirling Eddys, Altar Boys, Stryper, Amy Grant (there is someone you can't say you never head of), Michael W. Smith, Matthew Ward etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.