1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twins Fan Stuck in Iowa

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by MNTwinsFaninIowa, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNTwinsFaninIowa

MNTwinsFaninIowa New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I'm currently stuck in Iowa City, originally from Minnesota. We get the Chicago sports stations here, realize that FSN North is available for $12 bucks a month, but I already pay enough, why should I have to pay more?

Anyways, was looking to see if there was a way I could change my installation address to get the games...couple of questions.

1) Would I be able to get the HD locals out of Minnesota?? Realize that you have to be in the spot beam range is there a way to check if it would work?

2) I currently have the two dish set up, because we are in bum **** nowhere, am I going to lose my network stations? (trust me it would be a god sent gift not to have to endure the news out of Cedar Rapids)

18 months to go stuck in this corn, hopefully someone can bring me a little sunshine!

2. Brewsta

Brewsta AllStar

Sep 2, 2007
    So, you'd rather fraudulently "change" your address and lose your locals than pony up $12 a month to get the Twins, Royals, Cardinals, and Brewers?

FSN North and FSN North HD are both on CONUS transponders anyway.

3. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    If you want their games, then buy MLB Extra Innings. Getting the Sports Pack won't help you due to blackout restrictions anyway.

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    You probably won't get to many legit responses on helping you "move" as it violates the TOS and the policy of this forum.

I wish i could give you some sunshine as you put it, but these threads usually don't last long and get closed.

As previously mentioned...due to possible blackouts...you're better off w/ EI, except the money of course.

5. Mocco71

Mocco71 Godfather

Jan 13, 2007
    Depending on your zip code, you may be able to get them by just adding sportspak (I think that a lot of Iowa is claimed by multiple teams.) Go to the d* website and punch in your zip to confirm. Then, compare the cost of 6 months of Sportspak vs MLB EI and see which will provide you more value.

6. LeftWingLock

LeftWingLock New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Actually here in Iowa (I'm in Davenport) we are claimed as home markets for the Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Brewers, and Cardinals so no problems with blackout restrictions. The only Twins games that I don't get are the few that are broadcast on a local Minneapolis station and not on FSN North.

7. Brewsta

Brewsta AllStar

Sep 2, 2007
    The entire state of Iowa is claimed by the Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, and Royals. If you have the Sports Pack, you will get all those teams games that appear on RSNs that DirecTV carriers. No Extra Innings required.

The OP *knows* he can get the Twins with just added the Sports Pack, but wants to find a way to do it cheaper than $12 a month.

What about us dropping nearly $60 a month to see our teams in HD that are out-of-market? Do you think we're going to feel sorry for the OP? Probably not.

If you like the Twins that much, pony up. $12 is two less Big Mac meals a month.

8. scott72

scott72 Icon

Feb 17, 2008
    The Twins claim Iowa as their market as well so yes he should get Twins games with the Sports Pack.

9. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    Seriously if this guy can get all thse games from the sports pack and in HD. Then he needs to pony up the 12$. Many people drop some serious cash to be able to see so many teams.

10. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    :welcome_s

I've got the sports pack as well and I echo what all the other Iowans have said about the sports pack in Iowa.

11. Kavh

Kavh Mentor

Feb 14, 2008
    Is this Heaven? No its Iowa.

Thats why we get the games of six teams on sports pack.

12. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Sorry you don't like Iowa City, most of us that live here don't think it's so bad.

I actually consider it an advantage to be claimed as "home market" by so many teams. Between the Sports Pak and regular channels there aren't many games we can't see. It's definitely worth $12 a month for me.

Manipulating your address woulodn't help anyway. Too far away to pick up the spot beam .

13. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Appropriate quote for the most hallowed of days...the OFFICIAL beginning of baseball season (Japan dont count).

Pay the $12 bucks. Its worth it.

14. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Correct. We have the same issue in Des Moines, and I have been able to get Twins games in the clear as well as Brewers, Cubs, Sox, and Cardinals. The one exception is the Royals, who, for some inexplicable reason, black out the games even though Des Moines has been one of their top out-of-state fan bases for decades. :confused:

15. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Japan counts (fortunately or unfortuately) when you leave with at 1-1 record!

16. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Lol are you kidding me? That is crazy I never knew that many states claimed Iowa.

17. dornitram

dornitram Mentor

Jan 31, 2008
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. A Twins fan in Iowa City. I'm probably going to get the Sports Pak for $12 and just not tell the wife. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.