1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two inch OD post... how hard is it to find???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by M.Wong, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M.Wong

M.Wong AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    The installer came last week and did a spectacular job installing a new post and 5LNB dish for my new HR20-100. But, using my old dual LNB location, I am missing the 110 satellite due to some trees. It was the best he could do, he arrived on time, and he did a nice clean job, so I can't really complain. (He did get a strong reading from the other satellites.)

There is another location that I would like to try on my own. It's on the other side of the house, so I wasn't going to ask him to do it (and spend alot of extra money on his labor). So I head out to Lowe's and Home Depot today and can't find a 2" OD pipe! I found 2" inside diameter which means the outside is something like 2.23". I also found 1 5/8". Question: What am I missing? Where am I suppose to find this pipe? Do I need to go to an electrical supply shop? I even looked in the chain link fence section.

I did find a 2" steel conduit, but a single bag of concrete wouldn't even hold 6' of that thing up, it weighed a ton! I am looking for something like the post he brought for my install.

By the way, an update to a thread I started a few weeks back regarding distance of coaxial cable, I ran nearly 200 feet of solid copper core quad shield and the distance was not a problem. Now I just need to get around that tree! Thanks all! :)

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Here is one on solidsignal.com

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SKY32817C

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If you still have the installers number, give him a call. You never know how well tied down his poles are. One might just fall off his van as he drives by your house one day. :grin:

4. M.Wong

M.Wong AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    Thanks!

I will try the local electrical supply store Monday before going to mail order. (Man, the UPS guy would deliver a post and wonder what the heck that's all about!)

I never did have the installer's direct number. You are right, though... I tipped him for a job well done, I bet an extra could have rolled right down my driveway if I knew to ask!

5. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
  6. M.Wong

M.Wong AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
  7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Yes, that is the AU9.

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    You might want to try a auto muffler shop or a commercial sprinkler company.

9. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Try a commercial fencing company. That is where I got mine and most will cut it to length.

10. M.Wong

M.Wong AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    All great suggestions, I guess driving around on a Saturday with nothing besides the home improvement stores open, my mind went blank!

There are both a fence company and an electrical supply store nearby.

11. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    The pipe they used on mine was EMT electrical conduit (retied electrician here) If your home depot or Lowes doesn't carry that width go to an electrical supply house. The pipe is not expensive. The type of pipe is EMT, not GALV , IMC or PVC. You can do this, its not as difficult as it looks and you'll save a bunch of money.

Good Luck

12. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Here's a quick and easy way to get from a 1 5/8" outside diameter to 2":

Take a short section of 1 1/2" ABS (black) plastic pipe (let's say 6" long).
    Cut the pipe lengthwise. Don’t make two pieces of it – just cut through one side. Expand and slip it over the 1 5/8" pipe using some lubrication (e.g., WD-40).

The resulting diameter is almost exactly 2", certainly within the tightening limits of the mounting hardware. The ABS is solid and can withstand being in the elements. It’s cheap and readily available. If you don’t have a piece of it, one of your neighbors probably does.

There will be a 1/4" gap in the ABS pipe after it's installed, but that's not really an issue for this application.

13. M.Wong

M.Wong AllStar

Jul 26, 2007
    Update: Electrical supply store and fence companies around here had nothing with 2" O/D. Installer said he would drop one by, but 6' was the only length he had. I wanted 7-8' to get the dish a little higher, as well as have a good 2-3' in the ground.

AllieVi's suggestion worked perfectly! I used a kitchen butane torch to warm the ABS along the back side (opposite the lengthwise cut) so it would be more flexible and it slid onto the 1 5/8" post easily.

Thanks everyone! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.