1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two locations; Two dishes; Which receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cbhpi, Mar 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    I bought a condominium in another city from the one in which I live. I'll be there only about 4 weeks per year. At home, I have a slimline 5 dish, an HR-20, and an HR21. The condominium has RG-59 cabling inside and is serviced by an old round dish for standard def. From the dish to the service entry of the condo, there is RG-6. I want to update the dish for HD reception. The installer says it will be difficult to pull new RG-6 because it is a flat without an attic or crawl space. He says the RG-59 can be used and wants to install a slimline swm dish. Questions: Is the installer correct concerning the RG-59? Assuming he is correct and it will work, will one of my current receivers work at both locations (so I can take it with me to the condo and bring it back home)? If not, which receiver should I buy in order to be able to use it both locations?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With RG6 coming down from the dish, a PI for the SWiM can be placed/connected before it changes to RG59, and it will work, though it will have more loss, but if not too long of a run, it works.
    The HR2x both work with a SWiM.

3. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    Thank you very much! On the outside of my unit, there is a power receptacle that is protected from rain by roof overhang wide enough for a walkway. Is the inserter hardy enough for placement at that location? Also, when using the receiver at the condo, what menu settings, if any, do I need to change at startup?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The PI ISN'T made for outside use.
    As to the start up, changing from non SWiM to SWiM is almost automatic, as it should sense the signal from the SWiM, but going the other way from a SWiM back to a legacy system, with BBCs can be a real PITA.

5. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    Thanks for your help, VOS.