1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Years with the HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rudeney, Sep 23, 2008.

When did you get an HR2x? (Vote once for each)

1. 2006: August or before

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. —September

6.6%
  3. —October

16.5%
  4. —November

7.7%
  5. —December

4.9%
  6. 2007: January

7.7%
  7. —February

7.1%
  8. —March

3.3%
  9. —April

5.5%
  10. —May

3.3%
  11. —June

4.9%
  12. —July

4.4%
  13. —August

7.1%
  14. —September

12.1%
  15. —October

12.6%
  16. —November

7.7%
  17. —December

1.1%
  18. 2008: January

2.2%
  19. —February

1.1%
  20. —March

3.8%
  21. —April

1.1%
  22. —May

2.7%
  23. —June

2.2%
  24. —July

2.7%
  25. —August

2.2%
  26. —September

3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    It was two years ago (9/21/2006) when I had my first HR20 installed. It was a brand new, in-the-box HR20-700. The HSP (Bruister) delivered it along with a new AT-9 dish. I paid about $350 for the upgrade ($299 + S&H + tax). Everything went very well. Bruister sent two techs and then a supervisor came by, too, because it was one of the first HR20’s they had handled. They did a great job with the install, adding a pair of WB68’s to feed all the outlets in my house.

The HR20 was great. My only DVR experience was with UTV (I had 6 of them at one time). I found the menus and guide to be similar. Of course I was enjoying the HDTV and the ability to record it. I did have some problems, though. First, lipsync issues were rampant. My wife and I quickly learned to try things like pause and then resuming or changing channels to fix it. Sometimes that worked, but sometimes not. We experienced horrible MPEG artifacts on our local CBS affiliate making football games unwatchable because the field looked like a psychedelic checkerboard. Our local NBC affiliate suffered the cyclical stuttering problems inherent with a bad MPEG2 to MPEG4 conversion. Audio dropouts were also common. I was using my Denon A/V receiver for all switching, and it supported component only, so I never had any of the early problems with HDMI compatibility.

One of the things we really missed about the UTV was the 30-second skip. We especially hated the “slip” and the fact that it only lasted 10 seconds. We started skipping commercials using FF, but since there was no “resume correction”, we’d end up having to backup. We eventually got used to pressing FF three times, then pressing PLAY when we saw the show resume, then the “skip back” button twice and that would just about do it.

One thing that always annoyed us with UTV was that when a scheduled recording started, the live display would always switch to that tuner, no matter what it was doing beforehand, even of there was not a conflict. We liked the fact that on the HR20, non-conflicting recordings on the other tuner happened quietly in the background. Also, the prompt to select which recording to stop when both tuners were busy was a nice feature not on the UTV’s.

Within a few months, I added an H20 for the kitchen and another HR20 for the bedroom. Earlier this year, I added another HR20 for the guest room, and finally a 4th HR20 to replace the H20 in the kitchen. The H20 is now just a spare tuner for the living HT system that servers both the living room and patio. As luck would have it, all of my HD-DVR’s are HR20-700’s– two new, two refurbs. Three delivered by “professional installers” and the last one via FedEx for self install.

All in all, we are happy with the HR20’s. They have added many great features like Media Share and VOD (and 30SKIP and SUPERSKIPTOTICK). I continue to look forward to future enhancements like MRV. This is no big deal because we had similar issues with the UTV’s, too. Even my wife who has little patience likes them and can put up with the occasional problem. I think it’s a “keeper”. While I might have a hard time recommending D* to a friend, I would not hesitate to recommend an upgrade to the HR2x for existing customers already used to D*’s “business model”.

2. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    You must have the patience of Jobe :) Considering the fact that you could have had a Tivo Based DVR for that 1st year and not missed a single channel and had a much more reliable with the Tivo, that in itself shows you are a super dedicated HR20 pioneer.

I have had mine now for about 1 year and for the first 6 months I was pretty much ready to chuck it in the Bin. Luckily they have now fixed about 90% of the bugs.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Have had mine for 1 year as well (1 year and 2 weeks to be exact) and was ready to chuck my tivo's after 6 months (and did, getting 2 additional HR21's).

4. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Not everyone cares if the box says TIVO. No problems here with my HR2x's.

5. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Like I said, my only DV experience was with UTV. In fact, my only experience with TiVo was helping my niece setup her stand-alone box. The interface seemed a bit “cheesy” to me, but she likes it and that’s all that matters. I liked the UTV interface and the HR20 is very similar.

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have only had my HR20 for a little over a month but I love it. I requested it for the OTA capabilities. No problems what so ever to this point.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Uhhh... what's SUPERSKIPTOTICK?

8. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    It allows you to skip to the next tick mark using a single press of the FF or REW buttons, followed by 30SLIP(SKIP) or 6SECREWIND, respectively, depending upon which direction you want to go.

9. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I could be wrong, but are these not test features in CE right now??

10. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Supervolcano thinks the first implementation is available in the NR. Worth a try I guess. :)

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Per Doug:

12. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Canis Lupus *slap*

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    You are incorrect. Many HD locals markets were already up and many more soon after. I got my HR20 also about 2 years ago to the date and a month later my HD locals were launched. So for the first time I could record my locals in HD, which as with most people is most of what we watch.

I rather enjoyed recording my HD locals for the first year of ownership instead of not being able to. ;)

14. morphy

morphy Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    The HR20 has moved forward in leaps and bounds and improved in many, many ways. In my opinion, it is possibly the premier STB across both satellite and DBS, with the possible exception of Tivo-based STB's.

Fortunately, the entire concept of the STB is becoming more and more obsolete...

15. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    That’s right, Scott. Our HD locals were available on D* before the HR20 came out. I called D* to get an HR10, but when they told me it would not support MPEG4 (and thus would not support my HD locals), I passed. They told me that there would be a new MPEG4 DVR coming “soon” so I kept calling back every month until I found it available in my area in Sept. 2006.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Over two years with the HR20-700 here. Amazing progress, still plenty of minor/non-fatal bugs to fix and features to smooth out. Overall, I'm very happy. I nearly always get what I request recorded (perhaps 2 or 3 missed recordings in two years), no lock-ups, 1 grey screen recording, 1 delete this recording (when first played after recording.

Considering everything going on, I don't find this offensive.

I'm impressed with the development curve and cycle. The HR20 series is a long way from perfect, but imminently serviceable as a DVR for me, and has been for nearly all of the two year experience with me. In the beginning (first two months), I would not have recommended it to the "casual" sat customer. Now, I would have no probem (and frequently have) recommended the HR20/HR21 to just about anyone capable of operating a DVR.

The HR21/AM21 combo for OTA recording, while providing an outstanding OTA tuner, still has some significant user glitches that would keep me from recommending the AM21 to the "casual" user who would be confused by the erratic trick play operation with the AM21 connected to an HR21 in OTA playback mode.

17. upnorth

upnorth Godfather

Jun 21, 2006
    I also purchased my HR20 back on 9/20? of 06 I had my MPEG-4 locals and my Game time RSN at that time so while I was watching and recording these channels others that had the Tivo could not unless they had OTA for there locals but the only way to view your RSN was with the HR20 and I might add my HR20 has been more than dependable.;)

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it's time for a poll... I'll add it to this thread.

19. miggo

miggo AllStar

Feb 28, 2007
    Mine was ordered on 9/17/06. Installer came out with the dish and HR20. Hooked everything upand it was defective. About 3 days later a replacement showed up which I hooked up and it has worked perfectly since that day. I love my HR20.

20. JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    1st one in June 07 2nd one in Feb. 08 with only a couple of minor problems compared to the tons of major problems I had with the HR10-250. I installed the Dish, DVRs and cables myself which might account for my lack of problems with the HR2x units.