1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

UCLA-Stanford blackout on ESPN2

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by CincySaint, Oct 19, 2013.

1. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    I'm in Cincinnati and ESPN2 is blacked out. ESPN Coverage maps show the game is on. What's up?

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    ESPN2's national feed is showing Iowa at Ohio State. UCLA at Stanford is on the alternate 209-1

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    209-1 sends me to the national feed 397. To think I cancel my trip to Stanford to watch it on TV. :)

4. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Where are you located? The late game is a reverse mirror, if you don't see the game on 209-1 it means your ABC affiliate should be airing it unless they changed their mind at the last minute and neglected to notify anyone.

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Thanks. I really wanted to watch that game.

Ps you would think I would know that by now.

6. stflush

stflush Cool Member

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm in Louisville, and both my local ABC and ESPN2 are carrying the Iowa-Ohio St game. 209-1 says the program is not available in my area (727)???

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd call in about that.

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    They found out you wanted to watch.

That's all it takes.

:eek2:

9. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    I did. They argued with me for 20 minutes that it was blacked out. I finally convinced them that Ohio State is on ABC and we should be getting UCLA on ESPN2. A reboot and reauthorizong the receiver did nothing

My friend down the street has Time Warner and he's watching UCLA on ESPN2 so clearly the game is not supposed to be blacked out here. This is a D* screwup

And my local affiliate always carries Ohio State so there was no last minute change.

For the money we pay D* they should be able to do better

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's different with cable because feeds aren't national. Did you not try 209-1?

11. stflush

stflush Cool Member

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm on the phone with them now. After 20 minutes of run-around, I'm now being told I'm in a Big Ten region so I can't get the UCLA-Stanford game.

12. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    It's on 209-1. I don't understand why it's not on "209" since I have SD duplicates turned off. But 209-1 works

13. stflush

stflush Cool Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Doesn't work for me.

After about 45 minutes, and being transferred to a supervisor, their position is that me getting the Iowa-Ohio St game on both my local ABC station and ESPN2 is correct, and that I shouldn't/don't get the UCLA-Stanford game. Nice.

14. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Iowa/Ohio State is on the national ESPN2 feed, UCLA/Stanford is on the alternate. On Cable, where the blackouts occur at the headend, you would get the game on the same channel, since DirecTV is a national provider they have to use alternate channels.

You should also try calling ESPN at 1-888-549-3776 or sending a message at their website so they can make note of it, be sure to specify what market you are in:
    https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/tvindex

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    It's on 209-1. I don't understand why it's not on "209" since I have SD duplicates turned off. But 209-1 works

DIRECTV is a national provider.

starting this august, they don't use dash ones to denote sd vs Hi Definition feeds for alt channels anymore. That dash one is the alt channel, sd or Hi Definition just like any other channel, it doesn't matter. So on a cable system, espn will carry the opposite game as ABC is carrying. But on sat, they have to show both games on espn and espn alt and then blackout which ever channel is the same as your local ABC because sat is all national channels.

I don't know of any situation where you should be blacked out of either game anywhere, that doesn't make any sense. Both are supposed to be nationally shown. One on your local ABC and one one so (or espn alt on sat)

16. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    that is pretty funny. I am in Indy (big ten country btw) and 209-1 came in fine.

17. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    What is the rational with these blackout? Are they afaid that they will not be able to sell out The Ohio State game.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    DIRECTV and dish are the only ones that have to black out games like this at all. Your local just shows the other one in the first place. The reasoning is that they want you to watch your ABC channel for the local game so they get that ad revenue from that stream and not the espn one since they likely get more from ABC ads than espn ads for in market games.

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No. The game is either on abc or espn. If it is on abc in your region, the other game is on espn and vice versa. The espn feed of your local abc game is turned off. In this case, the games were on 209 and 209-1. If the 209 game is on your abc affiliate, 209 is blacked out but 209-1 should be on. Likewise, if the 209-1 game is on your abc affiliate, 209-1 is blacked out but 209 should be on.

It worked fine here. Ohio State was on abc so I got the other game via espn. The guide data was a mess, however.

20. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    What I hate is that the Sport App shows that the game will be on 209. I set it to record with no problem. Later on I look for it on the playlist and find out it is not recording.