1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ugghhh, I should have just told her it was dead

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Getteau, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    So my HR24-500 has been acting up over the past few weeks on local playbacks (pixelization, stuttering, freezing for a second or so during playback, spontaneous reboots while playing shows ...) I figured it was a hard drive issue, so ended up doing some of the advanced hard drive tests and got error code 0x77 on the short test, the surface test would find some errors and get to about 4% before it would jump to 100% and give me error 70. Based on the various posts here and other places, I figured the hard drive was going bad. So I called in and got sent to tech support by the front line CSR. The tech support lady was nice, but basically said they don't know anything about the advanced tests and all she could do was have me run the regular system test and if that passed I had to reformat the hard drive and if I still had the issue, I should call back and they would replace the DVR. She also got fixated on my advanced error test code and told me my issue was being caused by having the network cable plugged into my DVR and that whole home wouldn't work that way in a DECA setup (I don't have a DECA setup and told her that several times). She pretty much flat out refused to listen to me telling her my issue was with local playback of shows and MRV had nothing to do with it. She wouldn't come out and say it, but you could tell by her tone that she didn't believe my unsupported MRV worked without DECA.

I know the front line CSR's aren't going to know about the advanced tests, but you would think the tech support CSR's would.

Ugghhh!!! Next time I'll just lie to the CSR and tell them the box is completely dead.

OK, enough venting for the day

2. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Asside from the fact that the CSR was trying to troubleshoot the wrong issue it sounds like the CSR was mistaken, HX-24 model receivers have built in DECA's.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    If you mean by shot test, the System Test. The codes are here.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    According to that System Test chart that RobertE created, code 70 does indicate a network problem. That's why the CSR went there. It might have been a red herring for your real problem, but it's understandable why she diagnosed it the way she did.

Beyond that, repeat after me:

"My HR24 doesn't power up. I took the DVR out of the system and put it on the kitchen counter, not hooked up to anything, and plugged it into a different circuit. It still doesn't power up."

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    And when you do send it back, may I suggest you tape a detailed note to the HR explaining the problems you had.

Once the refurb folks get it, it may prevent the next guy/gal from having the exact same problem if you point the tech in the right direction.

6. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I was looking at that guy last night and it has lots of good info.

Unfortunately, my test results were from the SMART Short test and Surface test under the Advanced test area. While that document lists lots of good test codes, it doesn't list the error codes for the Advanced Disk tests. It only goes into the various results from the plain old system test which came back clean.

I was really tempted to tell the gal it threw error 14 or 15 when she had me run the system test. At least that way I would have been able to skip the system wipe and I could have watched the rest of my shows while I wait for them to send me a new DVR. I guess that's what I get for being honest.

7. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Boy did I get this thread wrong.:)

8. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...
    Heh, heh.... me too. ;)

9. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    Will they ship a replacement box or roll a truck when a box wont power up? I'd love to replace at least one of my HR21s.

10. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    the advanced tests are unknown but to a few tec agents. DirecTV provides scripting so that different agents can take the same info, and generally reach the same conclusion. I would ask that you don't be disengenuous with an agent and claim a dead box when they aren't. When that unit is recovered and sent for refurbishment, it will be fully checked and the replacement reason bounced against the recieved condition of the unit. You wouldn't want the CSR to take a hit unnecessarily. I know there is a report that circulates though I've not seen it yet used as a performance feedback tool, but I'm sure it will be eventually.

11. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    So instead the customer should just live with the issue or take a half day off from work waiting on a tech? No thanks.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You don't have to take a day off, unless you work 7 days a week. They have techs that go out on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

13. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    so you would lie to get what you want or think you deserve and if it negatively impacts someone's livelihood, oh well? Very classy sir, very classy.